Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Look 381 off of ebay. I think that it was a good deal but the saddle is not to my liking. I am not asking what saddle to buy, There are already plenty of posts on that subject. My question is on the saddle buying process. I realize that different saddles fit different people. Is it reasonable to expect a LBS to allow me to test ride a saddle for a while and then exchange it if it is not the right fit?

I am also thinking about getting a professional fitter work on setting up this bike with me to tweek the stem/bars etc. Is the saddle type something that is part of the fitting process?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes a LBS will sometimes offer the saddle fit/exchange you ask about. They will especially work with you if they do a fitting. It's probably money well spent.

It has been trial and error to get the right saddle. I have alot of money invested in saddles that are sitting around.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Buy used off of ebay. That way, if you use it for a month and don't like it, you can usually get what you paid for it back. If you buy new, you are going to get 50-60% of what you paid. That can get expensive if it takes several saddles till you find what you like.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Unless you have incredible luck the usual process is my trial and error. I have a cardboard box in my garage with 10-12 saddles that did not work...I have a San Marco Regal on one bike and a Fizik Arione on the other..I use the Arione as the Regal won't work with the seatpost I am using on that bike..eBay prices for used saddles used to be better. I bought a used Regal about 7 years ago for $38.00. I used it for 5 years and gave it away after I bought a new one..on the fitting, depends on the shop, they might help you with saddle selection...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts