Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem with numbness and chafing after about 20mi with my old saddle (Selle Italia Max-Flite) and recently switched to a Selle SMP Glider saddle. The numbness is not an issue anymore but there is still chafing in the crease where my leg meets the bottom.

I tried the SMP Pro which was wider and even more of a problem. Do you think the saddle needs to be narrower? Have heard a lot about Brooks, but am tired of buying saddles that don't work. Any suggestions? I am 68", 165lbs and ride about 150 per week.

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Some help

orthobiker said:
I had a problem with numbness and chafing after about 20mi with my old saddle (Selle Italia Max-Flite) and recently switched to a Selle SMP Glider saddle. The numbness is not an issue anymore but there is still chafing in the crease where my leg meets the bottom.

I tried the SMP Pro which was wider and even more of a problem. Do you think the saddle needs to be narrower? Have heard a lot about Brooks, but am tired of buying saddles that don't work. Any suggestions? I am 68", 165lbs and ride about 150 per week.
There are 4 factors in preventing numbness and pain:

1) saddle adjustment - tilt angle is very important

2) sitting properly - a lot of people ride too far forward on the saddle. Your "sit bones" should be perched on the rear, wide part of the saddle

3) standing up - you should never let John Thomas go numb or get painful. At the first sign of any lack of feeling or pain, pedal standing up for a short distance and repeat as necessary to bring the feeling back and prevent further numbness

4) saddle - there are some people who can ride most any saddle if it is properly adjusted (see #1) and there are some people who have problems with nearly any saddle. It's hard to predict which type you are. Work on 1-3 and if that doesn't help, THEN consider a new saddle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.