Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know after countless searches that you have to try, try and try. I need a little help to narrow it down though.

I am just shy of 6feet, weigh 170lbs and have a 32 inch waist. I am fairly small boned.

I currently ride a Giant OCR2, purely for fun and to get a workout. My average ride is twenty miles, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. The stock seat is not too bad, but I do have some discomfort. I have moved it back and forth, up and down but I have not found a sweet spot.

Anybody in my size range find certain seats that seem to work well?

Thanks in advance

P

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What kind of discomfort? Numbness or pain in the sit bones? The former may require a different saddle, but if it's the latter, it may be a question of spending more time in the saddle. For some saddles, adjustment is very important, but if you've already fooled around with positioning, it may be wise to get a fitting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Something that was suggested to me was find a bike shop that will put a saddle on your bike and take it for a spin. A good LBS will allow this sometimes with a small deposit or a credit card to be held. I rode 5 saddles before I decided on my Fizik Aliante. Its all personal feel and fit so this is the best way to do it IMHO. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm 6foot and 175lbs with a 32/33inch waist.

What kind of pain or discomfort are you dealing with? Sit bone, numbness, sharp shooting pain or general all around discomfort?

How long have you been riding this set up? Has anything changed or has it always been uncomfortable?

Do you ride with proper cycling shorts?

Here are some suggestions, if you're anything like me.

Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow Saddle- Good design, dealt with almost all of my numbness issues until I passed about 25miles. Then it still bothered me, particularly when I was in the drops.

Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel Saddle - Similar to the Gel Flow but without the cutout, if you aren't going numb you might not require the cutout of the gel flow.

Fizik Arione Kium Saddle - More comfortable then I thought, good length gives options for moving around. It was comfortable on my sitbones, after about 25-35 miles I felt the center of the saddle was bothering my boys.

Selle Italia Signo Gel Flow Saddle - Interesting pivot concept allowed for good movement. Cutout worked only while I stayed out the drops. If I got into the drops I had numbness/pain. Though many love this design.

Selle SMP Glider Saddle - After a lot of research I'm currently riding this saddle. The full length cutout allows for good blood flow in any position. I can ride 150 miles in a day without any discomfort.

You can compare all of our saddles with the Life-Size Fitting and Comparison Tool, it'll allow you to compare these saddles to each other and to your current saddle. Giving you an idea of their differences and see where the cutouts are located on each.

You'll notice that aside from the Signo, all of these saddles are a 13X mm width which is my range for my sit bones.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. Hard to explain the discomfort. I believe it is an aching feeling near the sit bones. I don't believe that numbness is an issue. I have about 400 miles in the saddle and it has always bothered me. Sometimes the aching goes away.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Like you I am 6 ft, 163lbs, and have a waist of 32 with a small frame. I currently use and am pretty happy with the Specialized Toupe 143mm saddle. All new saddles will give you initial discomfort for a couple of weeks, but once you are used to it, it should get better. I will continue to use this saddle until it is damaged or broken (already have 1 1/2 years on it).

My next saddle, and the one I would suggest as your starting point is Sella Italia's SMP saddle. Read the reviews of it. It is great.

·
Albert Owen
1,041 Posts
Not an obvious choice, but having had and used lots of saddles including the Toupe and various OE saddles on Treks etc, I have to say that the MOst Leopard is as good as any and better than most + it looks pretty stylish in white or black.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I'm suspecting fit might be a very big factor here. If you're not sitting fully on the back, flat part of the saddle, then you're not fitting on your bike well. So DO consult a LBS to make sure it's fit before the saddle, and have them fit you for another if it's not the case.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments. Someone had mentioned shorts. My shorts are pretty old and have been used hard for mountain biking. I went to a good LBS and picked up a pair of well padded shorts to start. The difference in the chamois cannot even be compared. Granted, a pair of shorts or bibs cost as much as a saddle, but it seemed like a logical place to start. I went out for a loop around the neighborhood and it felt very different. We'll see how I do on my next ride.

They also offered to fit me on a seat when I was ready to make a switch. They push Specialized at this particular shop and swear by the Toupe/Toupe Gel. They have a buy and try policy, which is kind of nice. I have a feeling that much of my problem comes from the fact that I don't have much cushion between my skin and my bones. I appreciate everybody's help.

P

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Based on what you're saying, it may be a padding issue, rather than a perineal pressure issue. On that basis I think the Terry line of saddles could be a consideration, as well as the Brooks, and the Fizik Gobi. (The Fizik Aliante may be too wide for you). The SMP Glider could also work, because of the amount of padding. However, the issue of a proper fitting, including sitbone measurement, is still relevant.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Peanya, you snuck a post in while I was typing. I have no problem scootching onto the back of the seat. I can actually feel when I am placed right in the sweet spot. The ache, for lack of a better term, happens when I am spinning at a fairly fast and steady pace. When I am just cruising with my wife I have no problems. It definately is not a soreness. I am not bothered the following day or even thirty seconds after I am off the bike. I can actually stand up or push forward a bit and the ache is gone. Push back onto the wide part and it comes back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.