Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having fit problems on my road bike that stem (I believe) from saddle issues. In short, I can't ride for reasonable periods of time in the drops because it hurts my perineum area. I have to ride on the hoods, not the hooks, to be comfortable. I want to be able to ride/race in the hooks and stretch out more.

I've gone through a number of traditional saddles without success. I've tried the Rolls, Rolls Due, ProLink, ProLink Gel, Strada, Flite, Concor Lite, Arione, Aliante and ERA - none of which work. The Strada is the closest to comfortable and the Rolls is fine for a more upright position, but I can't "roll" my pelvis forward.

I want to try a saddle with a channel in the center. I'm thinking of a Specialized Body Geometry, WTB Stealth or the new Colorado Cyclist Douglas saddle. I like the idea of a channel, not a cut out.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Any advice on which saddle to begin with?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Two ideas for you

First make sure the part of the saddle in which you sit while on the drops is level. Second you may try, if you don't already, angling the saddle to the right or left just a little. This way the saddle makes contact to the side of the soft perineum area rather than directly on it.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
MWT said:
I'm having fit problems on my road bike that stem (I believe) from saddle issues. In short, I can't ride for reasonable periods of time in the drops because it hurts my perineum area. I have to ride on the hoods, not the hooks, to be comfortable. I want to be able to ride/race in the hooks and stretch out more.

I've gone through a number of traditional saddles without success. I've tried the Rolls, Rolls Due, ProLink, ProLink Gel, Strada, Flite, Concor Lite, Arione, Aliante and ERA - none of which work. The Strada is the closest to comfortable and the Rolls is fine for a more upright position, but I can't "roll" my pelvis forward.

I want to try a saddle with a channel in the center. I'm thinking of a Specialized Body Geometry, WTB Stealth or the new Colorado Cyclist Douglas saddle. I like the idea of a channel, not a cut out.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Any advice on which saddle to begin with?
What is your saddle to bar drop? If you are reasonably comfortable in the hoods but not the drops, it's possible your bars are too low. This issue comes up a lot are there are no correct answers. A lot depends on your flexibility. For me, I don't like anymore than 2-3cm saddle/bar drop. This allows me to ride in both the drops and the hoods.

·
Registered
985 Posts
MWT said:
I guess that more likely your problem is caused by too big drop from saddle to handlebar.
If this is not a cause then try one of the Koobi saddles. Specialized BG and similar saddles are not very comfortable (this is not my experience only but results of poll that was in this (or Component) forum several month ago,

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
Sitting properly

Another thing to look at is whether you are sitting properly on the saddle. Your sit bones should be perched on the wide rear portion of the saddle, and you should be on a saddle that provides a good place for you to perch. IME, having the nose of the saddle parallel to the ground is the proper position for someone who wants to ride the drops and has a fair amount of saddle/bar drop. This insures that the rear of the saddle does provide the perch for your sit bones.

·
I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED
181 Posts
Read this if you have not done so already...

MWT said:

Check this out it may help. Good luck VÈÑÍ VÍÐÌ VÌÇÍ ™

http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
http://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.