Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
botanical guru
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new saddle. I've tried out a few over the course of this season and I haven't found "the one" yet. I'm interested in a saddle I found online, but I have a difficult time shelling out the $$$ if I end up being unhappy with the it a few weeks down the road. Are there any sites besides Terry that actually let you ride a saddle for x amount of days and return or exchange it? I'm interested in the Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow. I've been riding my hubbys old one he had on his MTB and it's WAY too long and the rear of it is not wide enough for my sitbones.

If any of you know of any sites like I mentioned above, I'd appreciate the info. I don't want to be searching for hours, so I figured I'd ask you guys. Thanks.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I believe Specialized and Bontrager offer 30 day trials on saddles.

If you're interested in getting your sit bones measured you can check with those dealers, but if you prefer, Specialized has instructions in their support section for measuring yourself at home. Because saddles come in many different shapes (and are very personal) measuring won't guarantee success, but it'll at least tell you the size you need.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I think most LBS will let you try a saddle for a day. Once you understand the basic parameters that are important to you (width, padding, flatness, etc) I think you can tell if it's going to work in a 2-4 hour ride.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I think most LBS will let you try a saddle for a day. Once you understand the basic parameters that are important to you (width, padding, flatness, etc) I think you can tell if a new saddle is going to work in a 2-4 hour ride.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have the Selle Italia Gel Flow Flite Max and love it. Try Competative Cyclist, they have a demo program.

·
BLACKBEARD RIDING CLUB
192 Posts
I’ve bought saddles online, new from online stores, and used from ebay thinking I was gonna save some money. All I got were headaches..!
Dont buy a saddle from an online store!
Spend the money and go to your LBS and get a saddle fitting. They should work with you till you find on that fits perfectly.
I ended up going with a Fizik Aliante, one for my road and one for my MTB.
Fizik - Highly Recommended…!

·
Registered
49 Posts
no more demo program from CC

FYI---I literally talked to CC an hour ago and they no longer have the demo program but instead focus on their "60 days no questions asked" return policy. they confirmed to me that I could ride a saddle for up to two months, and return used for a refund if i wasn't happy. so, I guess you can do your own demo, but it will cost more for the trial.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Many LBS will give you a trial period. The shop I bought my bike at is full of expensive saddles, but they give you 30 days to try it out and return it for a refund.

Considering that it's your main point of contact with the bike, it's probably worth a few $$$ to get the right one, rather than buying online to save a little money and being stuck with a saddle that hurts.

I'd just call some shops in your area and ask what the saddle return policy is.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
tjhjunk said:
Wallingford Bicycles offers a 90 day unconditional return policy on their Brooks saddles. I have the B-17 standard and I'm well pleased.

http://www.wallbike.com/index.php#

Tim:thumbsup:
OK, can I ask you about Brooks saddles?

They look really nice, but damn are they HARD, harder than any normal road saddle I've felt. Are they really comfortable? Not to mention, I always see folks riding around town in normal street clothes with Brooks saddles on their "vintage" bikes... I can't imagine them being comfortable without padded shorts/bibs.

·
this should be witty
78 Posts
Agree with those above. Get your sit bones measured. I thought I was paying for witchcraft when my bike fit guy pulled out a piece of foam rubber and told me to sit on it, but the saddle he recommended based on the distance measured between the two points made in the foam has been spot-on. 2500 miles, and a century this summer without a whimper.

·
Registered
669 Posts
gardenrunner said:
I'm in the market for a new saddle. I've tried out a few over the course of this season and I haven't found "the one" yet. I'm interested in a saddle I found online, but I have a difficult time shelling out the $$$ if I end up being unhappy with the it a few weeks down the road. Are there any sites besides Terry that actually let you ride a saddle for x amount of days and return or exchange it? I'm interested in the Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow. I've been riding my hubbys old one he had on his MTB and it's WAY too long and the rear of it is not wide enough for my sitbones.

If any of you know of any sites like I mentioned above, I'd appreciate the info. I don't want to be searching for hours, so I figured I'd ask you guys. Thanks.
Do you have a good LBS? I just bought a new saddle from them and their policy is if you bring it back like new within 30 days you can exchange for any other saddle. They have a decent selection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
mcsqueak said:
OK, can I ask you about Brooks saddles?

They look really nice, but damn are they HARD, harder than any normal road saddle I've felt. Are they really comfortable? Not to mention, I always see folks riding around town in normal street clothes with Brooks saddles on their "vintage" bikes... I can't imagine them being comfortable without padded shorts/bibs.
Yes they are hard but oh so comfortable. I treated mine with proofhide 3-4 times before riding. Now I have only been riding a couple of years (on and off) and mostly Mt. bike so don't have much to compare to. My tender bum thanks me every time I ride. I do ride in biking shorts. Did a lot of internet research before purchasing my Brooks saddle and with the 90 day return policy I just pulled the trigger and have not looked back. I highly recommend Brooks and Wallingford bicycle:thumbsup:

Tim:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts