Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

saddle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know it's matter of preference, i'll ask anyway since i dont really know what i want.

which one do you guys prefer: arione wing flex, selle italia flite, or selle italia slr?

i want something that's firm but also give a cushy feel. i dont want something that feels like a rock. i'm leaning abit toward the arione. what do you all think?

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I vote for the Flite, but that's the "old Flite"....not the new one.
I also like the San Marco Rolls.

· trying to HTFU...
1,910 Posts
was using an old flite TT, but have been ordered to change to
something with a hole in it. currently trying to figure out what
angle is good for an SMP evolution. it looks weird but feels
pretty normal, despite the giant slot running from front to back.
the leather is a bit sticky, so i'm having to try different bibs
to keep from pinching some of the delicate bits as i ride.
i also have an original flite TI from 1990 which is on my yeti.
that feels awesome as the guys have said. sadly, you can't
get those anymore.

· Registered
3,863 Posts
Old vs New School

I voted for the Arione. I've used one. After a couple of seasons it has started to sag. I won't pay what they are asking for now. I bought mine on sale for about $80.00.

Old School saddles (like the Rolls or Regal) tend to be wider and heavier, and are made for comfort. an exception would be the S.M. Conor Light, it's narrow, too narrow for my sit bones. I can use it for about three days, after that I can't take it anymore. The Old School might be heavier, but I will gladly give up a couple of grams if I can ride without my rear hurting.

New School saddles tend to be narrow and lightweight. The new Flite saddles are about 10mm narrower than the old version. I have an old Flite Gel that I love, don't know why they stopped making them.

I used a S.M. Aspide for a couple of months, liked it. Broke my hip a few years ago and now it is too narrow, I need more support.

I have a cardboard box in my garage full of saddles (about twelve). After years of experimenting the one's I like the most are the Regal, Rolls and S.I. Flite Gel (old model).
The Arione worked well also, but it is on the soft side.

No way to know what will work for you.

· Registered
984 Posts
I have both the old Flite and an SLR. They fit my rear about the same. The best saddle is the one that fits your bones regardless of brand, model, or price. That said, I have a hard time thinking about buying a saddle that costs over $150.

· Registered
44 Posts
manhattanproj said:
i know it's matter of preference, i'll ask anyway since i dont really know what i want.

which one do you guys prefer: arione wing flex, selle italia flite, or selle italia slr?

i want something that's firm but also give a cushy feel. i dont want something that feels like a rock. i'm leaning abit toward the arione. what do you all think?
I find the SLR comfortable for short rides, but that is not what I do so I choose not to use it. I would not call it 'cushy' at all. Supposedly it flexes some, but I still feel it after about 40 or 50 miles.

I don't like the Flite so much. I didn't think the extra cushion made much difference. Never tried the Arione but was eyeing one at the store this past weekend. I ended up not getting it because it's so narrow.

I like the specialized alias.

my favorite is the selle an-atomica though. it's heavy but about 1000 times more comfortable than all the 'regular' saddles out there - for me anyways.

The SMP looks interesting as well. I'd like to try one but they cost way too much.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
I hate change!

As much as I hate change the new Flite rides the same as the old.

manhattanproj said:
what's the difference between the old and the new old?
I have been riding the Selle Italia Flite for over a decade. Down to my last NOS one in the cupboard. This spring I bit the bullet and decided to give the new Flite a try. Bottom line is I put it on about a week before our spring training camp and never noticed a difference in the ride between old and new.

The new one did seem a little firmer but I think that has more to do with the fact that my old saddle had a couple of seasons on it. Not a big deal riding, just something I noticed when poking it with my finger.

Cosmetically they cut the ears off the back corners. Think of part of the area that was made with Kevlar (which I liked for leaning my bike up against brick). Looked a little different but after sitting on it I realized my butt never really came in contact with those back corners. I would say the new one looks a little more modern on the bike but when riding you cant see the saddle and I want the ladies looking at me and not bike anyways.

Set up. The dimensions and rails are slightly different so really look at your setup before installing. Think about where the curve from the rear to the nose occurs and where your sit bones hit, don't do your setup based on the nose of the saddle. To duplicate my setup from old to new I had to move the saddle forward about 10mm(?). I also had to adjust my height slightly 5mm(?). Angle/tilt stayed the same.

Nashbar originally shipped me a Flite Gel which was not what I ordered. My wife and son ride Flite Gels and the new one looked similar in the riding platform area. They did not test ride it because I still have a good stock of new ones in the cupboard so I returned it unused for the Flite which is what I wanted.

I toyed with the idea of trying out an SLR since the Flite was improved but chose to stick with what I knew worked. Besides a contact point is not where I want to look for weight savings and it is not like the Flite is a pig.

· Banned
608 Posts
San Marco Regal, ti version. That old school stuff has been around forever for a reason.

· your god hates me
1,605 Posts
nycmtber said:
I find the SLR comfortable for short rides, but that is not what I do so I choose not to use it. I would not call it 'cushy' at all. Supposedly it flexes some, but I still feel it after about 40 or 50 miles.
+1
I have an SLR on my beater bike & it's fine for commuting and short training rides, but when I take it out for more than 50 miles I tend to regret it. I think the problem for me is that it's just too narrow for my sitz bones.

I have yet to find a saddle I like more than a fizik Aliante...but then again, I haven't ridden a ton of others so that opinion is based on a fairly small sampling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.