Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the fit of the San Marco saddle but find it puts pressure on the perineum. Tried Selle SMP saddles and they are better in the middle but not as comfortable on the sit bones. Any suggestions to get the best of both worlds

· Fast No More.
770 Posts
since your handle includes the stem ortho- and you can bandy about terms like perineum, I'm guessing it won't be too hard to find a colleague who can accurately measure the distance between your ischial tuberosities (in mm preferably). Armed with this info and a tape measure, you can start hitting the shops and ruling out a few models that would clearly be too wide or narrow for your anatomy. Then, ask if the shops have demos/takeoffs of the ones that look like they may work, mount 'em up and take 'em for a spin. it would help tremendously if you are properly fit to the bike beforehand to eliminate any vagaries of up/down/fore/aft saddle position.

That being said, i will also echo Dave Hickey: Which SSM saddle is almost-right?

EDIT: Unless, of course, you're an orthodontist. Ass-grabbing is not as much of an everyday occurence in that profession.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies. Do not know the model of San Marco but it was 132mm in width, which seemed about right, and the slope of the sides did not cause chafing. The problem in saddle testing is that it seems to require a minimum of 30 mi to note if there is a comfort problem and it is hard to find "test saddles".

· Fast No More.
770 Posts
Noted.

orthobiker said:
Thanks for your replies. Do not know the model of San Marco but it was 132mm in width, which seemed about right, and the slope of the sides did not cause chafing. The problem in saddle testing is that it seems to require a minimum of 30 mi to note if there is a comfort problem and it is hard to find "test saddles".
A few LBS's in my neck of the woods have take-off saddle bins, which may be worth perusing - sometimes nice saddles end up in there for cheap. Otherwise, you sometimes get a steel-railed, vinyl-covered version of a saddle for cheap (eBay), test drive it, and then put it back into circulation (eBay).

if you remember what the saddle looks like do a google image search for San Marco saddles or hit their website and post a pic.

· Registered
1,469 Posts
your sit-bones will get used to Selle SMP but you must give it at least ~3-4 weeks of riding. My first 2 weeks on SMP Evolution hurt my sit-bones (week 1 was the worst) and then it gradually got better every week and after 4-6 weeks I don't even notice it. What I do notice is NO pressure in those middle "delicate" areas. I suggest you try again with SMP. You might also consider SMP model with more padding, if your butt is not as skinny as mine (~150# ~5feet 9inches). With SMP all weight should be on rider's sit-bones and almost nowhere else.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
orthobiker said:
Wrong! Saddles that feel good at 30 miles can still become torture devices at longer distances. Saddles good for 70 miles can become killers on centuries. The only way you can no for sure is to ride the maximum distance you plan to ride. Then don't count on comfort for longer distances.

A buddy recently switched from an Aliante to an Arione. Normally you like one or the other. The Arione is slightly more comfortable for rides under 50 miles. Once he gets over that distance he is wishing for his Aliante.

YMMV.

· Registered
485 Posts
Competitive cyclist has a saddle demo program where they ship you a box of saddles for a week or so. It isn't that expensive and they give you some credit on a saddle purchace. Well worth it if it keeps you from having to buy a bunch of saddles to find one you like.

· Registered
245 Posts
orthobiker said:
I like the fit of the San Marco saddle but find it puts pressure on the perineum. Tried Selle SMP saddles and they are better in the middle but not as comfortable on the sit bones. Any suggestions to get the best of both worlds

Make sure saddle height, fore-aft and tilt are good...if not, any saddle with kill you.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
I'm trying out the SMP Evolution now, just put it on my bike today, boy it's hard. A friend has the more padded Strike Plus and loves it. I also have a Terry Fly and the most comfortable saddle I've ever had. A saddle which is great on relieving prostrate pressure is the ISM Adamo road saddle and it's half the price of a SMP saddle. A very comfortable saddle for the right person. It's 2" shorter and a big groove in the middle, shaped like a 2 prong fork.

· Registered
252 Posts
acid_rider said:
your sit-bones will get used to Selle SMP but you must give it at least ~3-4 weeks of riding. My first 2 weeks on SMP Evolution hurt my sit-bones (week 1 was the worst) and then it gradually got better every week and after 4-6 weeks I don't even notice it. What I do notice is NO pressure in those middle "delicate" areas. I suggest you try again with SMP. You might also consider SMP model with more padding, if your butt is not as skinny as mine (~150# ~5feet 9inches). With SMP all weight should be on rider's sit-bones and almost nowhere else.
echo :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.