Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow saddle. I'm replacing a Specialized Gel Toupe. I noticed (only when I went to switch them out) that the rails of the old Specialized saddle are round and the rails of the Selle Italia saddle are an oval shape with flat sides. The hardware that comes with the Specialized seat post (holds the rails to the post) is clearly meant for round rails. Does it matter if I use the existing hardware (will it damage the saddle rails or seat post hardware), or do I need to find hardware or a seat post that will accommodate the flat sided rails? Thanks for any feedback.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I have a similar Saddle.
The round part of the oval rails fits nicely in the round part of my seatpost cradle/rail clamp.
Try it off the bike and I bet it fits fine.
Hope this helps.
John

·
Registered
2 Posts
It pretty much depends on the post. I have the same saddle and couldn't get it to work with a Bontrager post because of the flat side profile. Ended up getting a different post that clamped the seat rail from the top and bottom instead of the sides. The Bontrager post grabbed the seat rail from the side and I couldn't get the seat to stop slipping in the post.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
fongste said:
It pretty much depends on the post. I have the same saddle and couldn't get it to work with a Bontrager post because of the flat side profile. Ended up getting a different post that clamped the seat rail from the top and bottom instead of the sides. The Bontrager post grabbed the seat rail from the side and I couldn't get the seat to stop slipping in the post.
Good point. The only SeatPost Clamps/Cradles I have, clamp from top-to-bottom, and the flat rail side are not an issue.
John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts