Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
473 Posts
saddle sores are very similar to boils...correct?

anyways, ive only gotten one saddle sore (boil type infection where i make contact with the saddle).

but ive gotten 4 or 5 more on lower areas of my legs, one on neck, one on face.

after the most recent one ive started using hibiclens soap. so far so good (knock on wood).

ive been to the doctor for the ones on my face (less embarassing), which is wear i learned how to get rid of them... although i was put on anti-biotic medicine which probably helps as well..

anyways, you want to first off keep the area clean, i just used some anti-bacterial cream throughout the day. then you want to use a hot washcloth and press it against the sore for a few minutes a couple times a day. this will help all the bacterial come to the center, where you can eventually have lots of fun and squeeze all the stuff out. it can hurt though.

wear clean bike shorts, use a proper saddle, use good chamois cream, be clean before you ride, shower right after you ride (possibly using some hibiclens soap), and you should be well off. this is what ive learned from the past couple months of getting a few here and there.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
....umm, that sounds painfull

millerinva said:
tear it open then douse it w/ Iodine.
I'm no doctor!
I'd treat it with an antibacterial ointment such as neosporin or some othe antibiotic before I ripped my flesh. The ripping could potentially cause worse problems. Keep the area clean and monitor it. If not sure, see a health professional.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
Two types basically....

One is like a boil...it's basically an ingrown hair that gets infected and pusses up. The other is a wearing down of the skin, almost like a scrape on the knee.

Both hurt a lot and take several days to get over. Most of the time some antibacterial ointment will help them heal faster. Some can ride through them, some can't...depends on how bad they are and how high your pain tolerance is.

· Registered
6,422 Posts
I've found...

bas said:
I'm about ready to cut it off with a nail clipper.
Over the years when I've had them, and I've had a few. Tea tree oil works wonders. You'd be amazed. Clean the area, douse with tea tree oil, repeat until it's gone. When I've done this, they've gone away in 2-3 days.

Give it a try, it's cheap, and it has worked for me.

· Registered
30 Posts
I've found hydrocortisone reduces the swelling when it is painful to ride. Bag balm has kept the saddle sores away since then. I've also used tea tree soap, but don't seem to need it anymore since I started using the bag balm. I apply it before a ride and after I get out of the shower.

Good luck.

· Registered
2,931 Posts
I "lived" with them for years. I always got out of my shorts immediately after a ride, washed my shorts after every ride, showered immediately afterwards, etc. A month or two ago I started religiously using Assos Chamois creme, and voila! All gone. So nice. I had tried it and others on and off, but sticking with it, following the directions of initially "treating" the chamois cleared me up great.

· Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
phoehn9111 said:
I don't really want to see a photo of your or anyone elses buttock boils
for that matter.
Yeah, I've got one, but there's no way in hell you're getting a picture of it :nono:

I agree with everyone about bag balm, though I find it most useful for "chafing" type sores and not the cyst-type.

· The Dropped 1
670 Posts
I've got 2 or 3 that won't go away. Earlier this year I was doing most of my rides on the weekends, so they'd heal up during the week, then come back.

Well, this month I've done 280mi already (that's basically my monthly total previously, and now it's my half a month total), and they aren't healing. I've tried every home remedy listed (couldn't find tea tree oil, though) and nothing is helping.

This past weekend I rode with a different saddle and while less irritating, they still are there. Took Monday off completely and they got WORSE!

Yesterday I did 9 miles, spread out (4.5 in the morning, and 4.5 in the evening and nothing else).

Unfortunately today it's back on the bike so I can imagine they are going to get a lot worse yet again. Including tonight, I'll be riding the next 9 days in a row :thumbsup:

I tried the corn bandages (they don't stick while you are actually riding :mad2: ), acne creams, neosporin, etc.

I started leaving clothes overnight to wash two loads together (thought it'd be nice to save the water/energy), but have gone back to washing every day once I am done with the clothes. They always air dry.

I even put a tad of bleach in my weekend race gear.

Guess I'll be living with these for awhile :)

(Am not yet irritated enough to take time/money to go to the doctor for them.)

· Registered
902 Posts
allison said:
I've got 2 or 3 that won't go away.
Based on mine and my wifes experiences, I can honestly say that the type of saddle sores men and women get are somewhat different but often based on similar causes. Occasionally saddle sores are simply a function of ambient conditions as we see them more often when it is hot and humid than when it is colder with lower humidity. So for those affected, are the saddle sores territorial, in other words do they appear in the same spot each time or is the location random? For those who are suffering from saddle sores in the same place each time, this might be an indication of poor or improper position on the bike either due to seat being too high or possibly an assymetry with parts of the body. Very few cyclists have completely symetrical bodies, but for many the differences are so slight that the rider never notices and does not suffer any adverse effects but for the rest of us, unless riding a recumbent, the little things add up and the results are usually aches, pains, saddle sore, or all of the above.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wookiebiker said:
Two types basically....

One is like a boil...it's basically an ingrown hair that gets infected and pusses up. The other is a wearing down of the skin, almost like a scrape on the knee.

Both hurt a lot and take several days to get over. Most of the time some antibacterial ointment will help them heal faster. Some can ride through them, some can't...depends on how bad they are and how high your pain tolerance is.
I think it was the first type.

I had tried some hyrdocoritzone stuff...couldn't tell if it was numbed or not?

Then I hit it will the benzyol peroxide next night/day..

Finally turned purple/black and I guess broke on my ride home.

Been hitting it with neosporin right now.

· Registered
902 Posts
Bas,

If they are anything like the ones my wife used to get, you really do not want to see it, much less get them! Even though the wife has not had a reoccurence in nearly a year, the affected area still bears the witness marks' (ie an area of lumpy/scar tissue) and I am of the opinion that baring minor surgery, the scar will be there for quite some time but fortunately it does not effect her riding (usually 150-200 miles per week).

For Andrea, I suggest you have a competent fitter check out your position on your bike to assure things like proper saddle height and cleat alignement - note that this does not not imply each cleat is positioned in the same place on each shoe as part of proper alignment. Also, while the name is a bit of a deterent for some :), I suggest you try Crotch Guard (http://www.crotchguard.com/) - although it is a bit messy when applied, the wife does not leave home without it as it provides much, much longer protection than other products such as Assos or Chamois Butter. There is also a new product - Dz-nuts (seriously - http://www.dz-nuts.com/) - endorsed by Dave Zabrieske who races for the Slipstream-Chipotle US Continental Pro-Tour cycling team.

· Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
ms6073 said:
Bas,

If they are anything like the ones my wife used to get, you really do not want to see it, much less get them! Even though the wife has not had a reoccurence in nearly a year, the affected area still bears the witness marks' (ie an area of lumpy/scar tissue) and I am of the opinion that baring minor surgery, the scar will be there for quite some time but fortunately it does not effect her riding (usually 150-200 miles per week).

For Andrea, I suggest you have a competent fitter check out your position on your bike to assure things like proper saddle height and cleat alignement - note that this does not not imply each cleat is positioned in the same place on each shoe as part of proper alignment. Also, while the name is a bit of a deterent for some :), I suggest you try Crotch Guard (http://www.crotchguard.com/) - although it is a bit messy when applied, the wife does not leave home without it as it provides much, much longer protection than other products such as Assos or Chamois Butter. There is also a new product - Dz-nuts (seriously - http://www.dz-nuts.com/) - endorsed by Dave Zabrieske who races for the Slipstream-Chipotle US Continental Pro-Tour cycling team.
I feel your wife's pain! Sounds exactly like what I've been going through, and, I agree, you don't want to see pictures...

Anyway... I've been fit- it's mainly been an issue of finding the perfect saddle. A lot of them work at first but then seem to start flexing or otherwise breaking down after about 2 months (I also ride about 200 miles a week). I've been through at least 10 that I can think of off the top of my head since I started riding about 1.5 years ago (as well as a host of different chamois/shorts). I could have sworn that my latest (san marco glamour aspide) was going to be "it," but alas, as it's become a little more flexible, bad things start to happen... I just ordered a Fizik Vitesse that should be in next week, though.

I've never seen crotchguard (*snicker*), but I did see the webpage for dznuts a few days ago. I'll have to try both.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.