Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never really had a problem with saddle sores before but yesterday I went out for about 3 hours and I was wearing Assos chamios cream but I have a really bad saddle sore. The left side of my "saddle" is really red and has one bump that is really sensitive. What can I do to heal it?

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
teffisk said:
I have never really had a problem with saddle sores before but yesterday I went out for about 3 hours and I was wearing Assos chamios cream but I have a really bad saddle sore. The left side of my "saddle" is really red and has one bump that is really sensitive. What can I do to heal it?
It could be a simple abrasion, rather than a clogged follicle.

If it's abrasion, try a 1% topical cortisone cream (Aveeno makes one, another is called Cortaid, and of course there's PrepH with cortisone) today and tonight - it might go away by tomorrow or the next day.

If it's a clogged folicle, anti-acne medications work. I use a topical erythromycin gel, but that is via prescription only.

·
Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
Don't know if this will work or not, but I heard that toothpaste on the "sore" part is supposed to work too. Smear in on, cover with a band-aid overnight. Next day supposedly "poof" gone.

As for clogged follicle, do you have an ingrown hair at the site? The riding and pressure on your seat could grind a hair down into your skin. Someone may have to help you with this -- fish the offending hair out with a pin and then use a pair of tweezers to yank it out. A little dab of Neosporin and a band-aid on the site over the next day or so should fix it up too.

Or, just stay off your bike for a few days and let your body repair the damage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
keep it dry...

the rest of the time.
shower and use Anti-bacterial soap. Dry well. Powder your arse. wear boxers.

if it persists, cortisone is good choice. can also use neosporin.

wash your cycling gear in HOT HOT water, twice. sometimes the chamois, esp. the
"real ones" can retain bacteria despite washing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This works for me.

Look in the make-up dept for 1.7% or 2.0% salicylic acid touch-up, cover-up, topical ointment. Get a mirror and place a small drop at the site. It will be gone in the morning. I have tought of going cheap and crushing a asprin and making a watery paste to replace the $8 to $20 dollar acne cream.

·
Banned
108 Posts
ttvrdik said:
Look in the make-up dept for 1.7% or 2.0% salicylic acid touch-up, cover-up, topical ointment. Get a mirror and place a small drop at the site. It will be gone in the morning. I have tought of going cheap and crushing a asprin and making a watery paste to replace the $8 to $20 dollar acne cream.
what a loada ****

·
likes to eat donuts
893 Posts
No more pain in the a**

I had a very bad sore once, so I am always extra careful in my preparation these days. Unless I have just stepped out of the shower, I use an unscented baby wipe and hydrogen peroxide and thoroughly wipe the skin before applying my chamois cream, which I liberally apply directly to the skin. In the meantime, hydrocortisone cream, applied to the sore area after carefully cleaning it, is probably the best way to expediate the healing process, :cryin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.