Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I got a bike fit at my lbs. Since it was a Specialized store they suggested I switch out my current saddle (Brooks B17 Imperial) to the Specialized Avatar. After about 3 months of riding, I finally got tired of my butt screaming after about 15 minutes, and never being able to find the sweet spot. I switched back to my 520 gram Brooks and my butt is in heaven. I did a century on my Brooks last week with absolutely NO complaints from the culo!

·
Registered
20 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
Specialized saddles suck! Period!
Kind of an over the top generalization. I have had two different Specialized saddles and they work great for me. I have tried some other notably a Fizik that many people raved about and found it to be tortuous. So guess it just comes back to what just about everyone says, saddle preference is a very personal thing. In my opinion, the only meaningful characteristics are comfort and durability and to a far lesser extent weight. My Spec saddle is very comfortable, seems to be holding up well and is reasonably light. How then does it suck...period? :confused:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
They aren't at all comfortable.
The materials are junk.
They are horribly over-priced.
It's all marketing. Every Specialized saddle that I've ridden, (the count is 5 now) has been poor quality and actually done the opposite of it's intended purpose.

So, yes, they suck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
The materials are junk.
They are horribly over-priced.
It's all marketing. Every Specialized saddle that I've ridden, (the count is 5 now) has been poor quality and actually done the opposite of it's intended purpose.

So, yes, they suck!
Interesting because I've found them to be comfortable, durable and reasonably priced. I guess it just validates what I was trying to say which is that with such a highly personal item, opinions will vary widely. As apparently do your and mine.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
...... Every Specialized saddle that I've ridden, (the count is 5 now) has been poor quality and actually done the opposite of it's intended purpose.
!
I hate to say this, but the only thing this proves is that you're a slow learner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FBinNY said:
My only questions are

1- what did they tell you to convince you to give up what you knew was a perfectly comfortable saddle?

2- why did it take you 3 months of pain to go back?

They told me the Brooks was the wrong size for my sit bones, and it was too heavy.

It took 3 months cause I was told my sit bones had to get used to it. Since the new saddle only contacts the sit bones (instead of supporting some of the butt mass as well) the tissue surrounding the sit bones would be irritated for a while until it built up tollerance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.