Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently notice a lump right in the crease were my leg meets my groin area. Its tender to touch and about the size of a quarter and feels thick to touch if you squeeze it.

I remember having soreness 2-3 years ago when I was cycling 2000-3000 mile a year on average but haven't been out a lot in past 23 years. Since I started up this year Ive been out only 7-8 times averaging 30 miles a ride and noticed it in the shower and its a lot bigger.

any idea what it is or if I show get into my DR to get it checked out?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Sounds like a cyst. I had one a few years ago. I had it drained and it went away after a few days.

That area is prime for infection, you definitely want to get it taken care of before the skin breaks.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts
I would agree it sounds like a cyst. Go to a dermatologist and get it drained. Not a big deal, but hold your nose when it's being drained as that cottage cheese stuff that comes out STINKS! I speak from experience.

And yes, have a doc do it. As they say, don't try this at home.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts
If it's not too large, acne pimple cream can help get it over with quicker.
The trouble with that is if it rubs something, it will get inflamed. Once that happens, it won't recede on its own. It will have to be drained.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Any idea how long it's been there? A saddle sore will show up in a short period of time. I don't think a cyst will, at least not the 2 I have had (not from riding). When I get saddle sores (smaller that what you describe but similar, If it has a white head on I lance it, drain it and then put betadine on it, and cover it up with a large band-aid till it heals. Normally all back to normal in 4 or 5 days. What you described is pretty large though, probable best to let a Dr look at it if you can get in quick.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Just went through (actually still healing from and will be for a while) a staph infection abscess which was NOT a fun process. Especially if it's painful and/or growing, if you have the resources go and see a doctor sooner than later. If it grows fast and is painful, definitely go to doctor before it becomes something more serious.

If you feel like you are getting a fever at all, go to doctor ASAP.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts
Just went through (actually still healing from and will be for a while) a staph infection abscess which was NOT a fun process. Especially if it's painful and/or growing, if you have the resources go and see a doctor sooner than later. If it grows fast and is painful, definitely go to doctor before it becomes something more serious.

If you feel like you are getting a fever at all, go to doctor ASAP.
Also, if you see red streaks, go to a doctor ASAP. It's cheaper than an ER visit.

·
Registered
989 Posts
What jet dog said. I'm starting to ride again after being off the bike for 6 weeks. I've ended up getting a bacterial infection and it really hurt to even drive. Anyhow now that it's healed, I have to build a base again. It feels like I'm just starting out again. Go see the doctor as soon as you can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.