Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assos creme for saddle sores works well, but it is almost $25 for a small container. Anyone have a good product for half the price? Would you use it for a century? Seems like it should be around $12, not that I worry too much about a few bucks, but I am not sure Vasaline would not work as well.............MTT :ciappa:

· Pandacised
359 Posts
bag balm. good enough for cow utters, good enough for my ass.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Bag Balm is good. Personally I like Vaseline or it's generic equivilant even better. I use it generously. To each his own. And $25.00 for creme? It could only be Assos.

· Non non normal
10,185 Posts
I agree with the Bag balm.

Also, vaseline is by far your cheapest option and will work well against chafing.

· N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Well, you wouldn't want to put vaseline'd clothing in your washer along with a GoreTex parka. That is, if you value the GoreTex. Dunno if it's a general problem with riding shorts though. If you ever do paid rides (metrics, centuries and such), they frequently have freebie saddle cream giveaways in the goodie bags or vendor tables. So keep your eyes peeled.

Preventing friction may keep it from getting worse, but if you're already "sore", you'll need to do more. There are camps that talk about keeping things dry and breathable (loose cotton undies) when not riding. Others push triple-antibiotic ointment on the nether regions. I had sores once and it took months to get rid of 'em. I probably didn't do any treatment consistently, but maybe the sores just ran out of patience before I did...

· Registered
14,776 Posts
????????

JohnnyTooBad said:
Being petroleum based, won't vaseline ruin the clothes? And you certainly wouldn't want to put that in the washing machine.
Why should it ruin the clothes? Did you ever get grease on your shirt when working on your bike? It comes out in the wash. Laundry detergents are pretty good at dissolving hydrocarbons and letting them rinse away with the water.

Most cycling clothes are petroleum-based, anyway ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.