Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
yes, wow, thats brave

You can, but like anything else, there are better metghods. You could let it heal naturally and over time the situation will correct itself as long as you keep your block and tackle clean and dry.

BUT, lancing them is not the pain part, unless you are going to try and pop the thing like a zit. NOW we are talking about pain on a galactic scale. Man. Then, you risk an infection that is just bad. Ugly too, worse than a pan of fried a55holes as far as ugliness I assure you. :eek: :cornut:

Keep it clean and dry and let nature do its thing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wouldn't try to "pop" it. That could lead to worse things like an infection if it implodes. You are on the right track with the hot baths though. It will cause it to draw and heal on it's own. Even if you don't want to do the hot baths you can still keep a warm towel on the area while you are sitting around watching tv. Clean the area with some Betadine 3 times per day and keep it dry. It should heal in a few days.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Pop that weasle

Bad Link said:
Is it ok to try to pop them? Esseentially they are a zit, correct? I am thinking a good hot bath will surface it and then I can pop it and clean it good.
No medical professional will ever recommend that you pop a pimple, the worry being that you could drive the zit juice deeper into the tissues. That said, some of us, who shall remain nameless, have been poping butt zits for decades with no adverse effects. I think they heal faster when they are drained. :)

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Go ahead

Bad Link said:
Is it ok to try to pop them? Esseentially they are a zit, correct? I am thinking a good hot bath will surface it and then I can pop it and clean it good.
I'm not a medical professional, but that's what I've done when I've gotten a bad one. Seems to help it get done faster.

·
Breakin' Stuff
439 Posts
Pop that Rascal....Probably not the best or safest strategy, but it's always been worth that risk to me to not have to ride in pain or spend days off the bike. That said, I only take that approach when it's really hit the point of no return.

On a slightly different note - Check your underwear! I've had chronic saddle sores for years & this year has so far been WAY better. I had a bit of an awakening during the Winter when I started to develop a nasty saddle-sore and hadn't even been in the saddle for at least a month. I came to the conclusion that the culprit was my fave grundies that I had worn for a few years. They were sort of a nylon based Calvin Klein that were amazingly comfortable but weren't doing my butt any favors. I tossed out every pair that I owned and went to all-cotton briefs and have been much happier.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
No medical professional will ever recommend that you pop a pimple, the worry being that you could drive the zit juice deeper into the tissues. That said, some of us, who shall remain nameless, have been poping butt zits for decades with no adverse effects. I think they heal faster when they are drained. :)

Xacto!

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
"yech".........i never pop mine. Painsville to a factor of ten, I tell ya!!

Like the other posters said,.......hot bath, sleep in the nude for healing air to do it's work.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I'd get em when wearing tighty whiteys and sitting at a desk all day.

Switched to boxer briefs and don't have as much of an issue.

Now, to the OP: I usually pop em and wash em. Seems to be less painful in the long run and they seem to heal faster.

YMMV,

M

·
Banned
657 Posts
Doctors lance abscesses all the time. My vet just lanced a huge abscess & expressed like a tablespoon of pus from one of my cats that got out of the house & into a fight in a few hours. More than you wanted to know. Sometimes it is recommended to remove the overlying skin too allow for thorough cleansing of the wound leaving an open sore that will heal from ground up. If you do the hot bath thing dump some Epson salt into the water to help suck out the evil stuff. Betadine kills just about everything bacterial & viral but inhibits cell re-growth too so use to disinfect an angry wound initially and then w/ soap as a scrub but rinse excess off. Wear cotton ventilated CKs & baggy shorts when possible.
As for not getting saddle sores again, I’m sure you know to use your legs more & vary your position. Bathe immediately after every ride & air out your butt after that. Good luck.

·
Banned
657 Posts
capt_phun said:
I pop them and scrub like mad with a loofa puff in the shower to toughen up the skin. Some else on this board recommend an anti-fungal cream called Zeasforb (sp?) and that really dries out the area and works very well. Sleeping naked also keeps it dry.
"LOOFA PUFF"? What's that? Like a pumice lava rock or something?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know this may sound a bit odd, but try some Benzoyl Peroxide or salicylic acid. These would be found in acne preparations. I was having a laser skin treatment around my neck, and they recommended that I use some for the folliculitis (inflammation of the hair follicles) for several days after the treatment. It works well! So, I got to thinking....

I've been plagued with boils and inflammation previously as a runner, and now as a cyclist. I went to my local WalMart and picked up the "Equate" brand of the Clearasil pads. I use one after showering after each ride. I've been problem free for over two months now. :)

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
croswell1 said:
"Yech........gag.." Alright I had enough guys. I'm walking off this thread. This is one dead horse you dont need to beat!! :blush2: :blush2:
but it's so disgustingly fascinating!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.