Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- looking for suggestions for a saddle. I'm a 5'8, 180lbs semi aggressive rider.

Want to replace my stock saddle for a Selle Italian max flite gel flow saddle - specialized Power Saddle, Fizik or Fabric saddle.

Any suggestions once I find my proper sit fitting?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
You just have to try them to see what works for you. I used to run a Fizik Aliante clone, which many people swear by. However, I learned that it's nowhere near as good for me as my San Marco Regale saddle. The Arione, another popular saddle, was very uncomfortable for me. Some dealers will have demo saddles you can use to determine which you like the best.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Specialized Power saddle is the most comfortable I have used. Highly recommended...I have 2 road bikes, 1 has a Power with Cro-mol rails the other with the Ti rail version which rides noticeably smoother.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Loaner model gets you you the right saddle and the right size. I don't think I'd have been successful without riding saddle after saddle and then fiddling with the size a little...

·
Registered
760 Posts
Loaner model gets you you the right saddle and the right size. I don't think I'd have been successful without riding saddle after saddle and then fiddling with the size a little...
x2...had to go through the entire fizik line only to confirm that I still "need" the ramp in the back. Wound up going with the fizik Kurve Bull, after extended time with the Aliante proved uncomfortable.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Hi all- looking for suggestions for a saddle. I'm a 5'8, 180lbs semi aggressive rider.

Want to replace my stock saddle for a Selle Italian max flite gel flow saddle - specialized Power Saddle, Fizik or Fabric saddle.

Any suggestions once I find my proper sit fitting?
Many years ago, two guys I rode with were whining about their saddles - all the usual complaints. And these two saddles were as different as could be (Brooks leather vs. "racing" saddle w/plastic base). So they swapped saddles. Both were happy as clams. So when somebody recommends a saddle for you, remember this story. The only saddles that work for YOU are the saddles that work for you, not the saddles that work for someone else.

And if the reason you want to replace your saddle is due to comfort issues (you give no reason for this change) then you should work on saddle position and your position on the saddle before you start spending money on different saddles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many years ago, two guys I rode with were whining about their saddles - all the usual complaints. And these two saddles were as different as could be (Brooks leather vs. "racing" saddle w/plastic base). So they swapped saddles. Both were happy as clams. So when somebody recommends a saddle for you, remember this story. The only saddles that work for YOU are the saddles that work for you, not the saddles that work for someone else.

And if the reason you want to replace your saddle is due to comfort issues (you give no reason for this change) then you should work on saddle position and your position on the saddle before you start spending money on different saddles.
Yes, very true. I will have a variety of saddles to try out.

·
J24
434 Posts
I would disregard "brands" when considering what to buy and pay more attention to the different saddle shapes; some are flat in profile both front to rear and side to side; some rounded side to side and flat front to rear; some are concave or dip mid way front to rear, etc.

I've found that a concave saddle doesn't work for me, nor does any saddle that's rounded side to side, but some of my friends find they work great for them.

Though, in end right shape or not, like Kerry Irons said if its not set up right no saddle will be comfortable for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts