Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to pick the collective consensus of the esteemed members of this forum. (Have I laid it on deep enough yet or what)?

Currently, my ride is equipped with a Selle Italia Octavia saddle. Dimensionally, it is similar to this Selle Italia Prolink. However, I'd like to be comfortable for much longer rides than I'm presently doing. (Now, 25 miles or less; then, centuries & real tours). And the way my sit bones are, I’m thinking that a slightly wider saddle is in order. For greater comfort, something with a width closer to 155mm looks to be the ticket. The local LBS’s seem to stock few saddles in the width range desired that would be suitable for touring-type use.

What do this great site’s denizens suggest I look at? While I am enviously eyeing a friend’s new Brooks B-17, I would consider a good touring saddle from some other maker, since in all likelihood I’ll have to special order.

·
Registered
60 Posts
check out the Selle An-Atomica at http://www.mcmwin.com. I bought one without knowing anyone who had one and am thrilled that I did. Far and away the most comfortable saddle I've ridden. Friends who have tried my bike have said the same thing. There's lots of info on the site but if you really want to have the full scoop on what you need, call them and talk to Tom Milton. He'll explain what you need and why. And yea, they're slightly heavier than lots of the saddles out there but you'll never notice. Truly a superb saddle.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
The Fizik Vitesse saddle is wider than most racing saddles, about 150 mm. It is shaped very similar to the Aliante, but costs less than half as much and only weighs about 20 grams more. Might be worth a try. I switched from a Brooks B17 -- the Holy Grail of comfort saddles -- to a Vitesse and never looked back. The Vitesse weighs less than half as much as a B17 and costs less with the latest Brooks price increases.

However, as with any saddle, I would only buy from a store or dealer that allows returns. Saddle fit is very individual, and what feels great to one person is miserable to another.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Brooks on all our bikes except the tandem.

I suspect the more distance you ride (and the less racy you are) the more you will like a Brooks.

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess the next questions are: which Brooks? (Leaning towards the B17 at this point). And which color to go with this paint job? (Black, Honey Brown or Green)? :wink:

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Hey Pom- If you go for a brooks, just be wary of their lack of weatherproofness.

I love my brooks saddles but took one off my commuter bike this year because it doesn't really hold up to getting wet. And I've not found a way to waterproof the saddle yet- proofide doesn't work, saddle covers feel like riding in a diaper, and plastic bags tend to break.

That said, Honey brown looks fantastic and you won't regret the extra weight- they are incredibly comfortable and if you take care of them they last forever.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
brianmcg said:
Yeah, those silly Brits don't see much rain.
You'd think england was a desert far all the waterproofing they put on their saddles::mad2:

seriously- wet brooks=saggy brooks. OK once, maybe twice, but if yer riding in the rain daily for a month, figure you'll trash it pretty quick.

·
Registered
834 Posts
PomPilot said:
Guess the next questions are: which Brooks? (Leaning towards the B17 at this point). And which color to go with this paint job? (Black, Honey Brown or Green)? :wink:
The honey brown is to my eye the best looking....but I think that bike demands a green one.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Honey brown with cork tape. The combination looks great because the colors complement with green. A green saddle could clash with the green on your frame, plus the green Brooks saddles look black after you've ridden then a while and added a few coats of Proofide. As for the yellow fenders, sorry I can't help you there. Maybe some silver or black spray paint.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
As for the yellow fenders, sorry I can't help you there.
I was *this* close to buying some of those yellow fenders this weekend, but then my son wisely reminded me that with my green frame I would be rolling in Oregon Duck colors. We live in Beaver country so that won't do :D

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
undies said:
I was *this* close to buying some of those yellow fenders this weekend, but then my son wisely reminded me that with my green frame I would be rolling in Oregon Duck colors. We live in Beaver country so that won't do :D
When I bought them, the fenders were black. A can of Krylon Fusion spray paint changed them.:eek:

FWIW, The next bike I set up will be my old university colors of purple and white. (University of Portland). Even if I have to resort to dyes and a custom paint job. :cool:

BTW, has anyone actlually seen the new Raleigh Sojourn yet? From the few early photos and descriptions I've seen so far, it might make a nice base to start from.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Count me as another vote for a Brooks B-17. I have one on my Lemond and love it. I also have a Champion Flyer (B-17 with springs) on our tandem. Regarding weight, the difference between a B-17 and the lightest saddle on the market is about a pound. That's not much sacrifice for all the comfort you'll experience.

·
Registered
43 Posts
PomPilot said:

I have a green bike. It's a different green than yours. Mine is something called "Sherwood Forest Candy Metallic Green", which is similar to British Racing Green. The green B17 looks great on it. As another poster said, a Honey B17 with natural cork tape would look great too. Now, if you wanted to go over to http://www.veloorange.com and buy some honey colored elk bar covering to match the B17.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.