Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been dealing with a pretty bad hemorrhoid so I'm looking into seat options. I generally like a pretty "flat" lightly padded saddle. I was riding on a Felt carbon "take off" that I got for free and it was really comfortable. Since I've been dealing with rhoid rage (I just made that up) I put on a Specialized Alias 130 but after about a hundred miles on it (50 yesterday) I don't like it. It feels really hard on my my sit bones and on either side of my taint. I'm looking for a saddle with a nice "rhoid" groove but still feels like my Felt. Any ideas?

BTW. Me no got's lots 'o money but I guess if it's going to keep me on the road I would be willing to pay up to $150.

· Registered
995 Posts
Competitive Cyclist has a saddle demo program. They send you lots of saddles and you return them in a week.

· Registered
3,431 Posts
Creakyknees said:
The E3 from Performance; check it out if you have a store near you, otherwise return it if you don't like it.
I have the E3 Form Titanium (also available in Gel version).

I second the above recommendation for four reasons. First, I bought one a week or so ago and after having put 100 miles on it, I report total satisfaction. Minimal, light weight design, but really works well where it counts: comfortable sit bone support, and lack of pressure on perineum.

Second, the above mentioned satisfaction guarantee - try it and return if you don't like it.

Third, it really is inexpensive. It is pretty much a plain jane saddle with absolutely no sexy italian cache. But it is leather and appears to be well built (except it lacks side scuff protection).

Fourth: it is pretty light. Mine weighed at about 195 grams - a few grams heavier than advertised (188), but compared to some of the ridiculous actual: advertised discrepancies out there, this doesn't bother me at all.

Another saddle/system you might take a look at is the Bontrager Inform line. I was looking at them at an LBS and actually got my butt measured ("medium"!) and the saddle looked like it would be in the "flat" category. I'm very tempted to try one just to compare to the E3, since Bontrager also has an unconditional (90 day??) satisfaction guarantee. That would be worth a look too if you have a LBS that you have faith in as far as working with you to get what you need.

· Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
for any taint issues i highly recommend the Selle SMP line. I went witht he Stratos being 148 pounds. I found the Evolution was a little to hard on the rear. (that sounded gross).
My butt really likes the shape plus the huge cutout helps with your taint & other soft areas. I tried close to 10 saddles before finally ponying up the $200, I wish I had done it sooner!

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I have a Bontrager Inform RL, and it's been great so far. I'd like to try a double century ride, to make sure I still like it--but it's been fantastic, so far. Wish they'd hurry up and get a womens model in stock for my wife.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Here you go.
I hear that you can even get these with a fuzzy cover.

· Registered
381 Posts
Lots of people swear by the Brooks B17 leather saddle once it is broken in. It is available from lickbike.com for just under $70.00, so it certainly fits under your price celing. Here is a link:

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0906-05'

Good luck in your saddle search.

· Registered
1,160 Posts
I really like the Specialized BG line of seats. I have a Rival on my MTB and a Toupe on my Madone. I have also tried the WTB Devo and liked it enough to keep for my old steel framed/bad weather Gitane.

Nice thing about the Spez seats, is they offer several widths to accommodate all body types.

Everyone has an opinion - YMMV

· Registered
433 Posts
Treker said:
Lots of people swear by the Brooks B17 leather saddle once it is broken in. It is available from lickbike.com for just under $70.00, so it certainly fits under your price celing. Here is a link:

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0906-05'

Good luck in your saddle search.
+1 on the B-17. Another vendor you might consider is www.wallbike.com, Bill offers a six-month trade-in or money back guarantee. I bought my B-17 and Champion Flyer (B-17 with springs) from him and have been very happy with both.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.