Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. My saddle of two years, a San Marco Era with hollow ti rails, let go of life today. (Funeral dirge in background...) So, granted, saddles are very personal, but does anyone have any suggestions? I am a big guy (my weight fluctuates between 240-260 lbs) who likes a narrow, firm saddle. I am no weight weenie, obviously, but don't really want a boat anchor, either. I need to decide quickly, as I have an organized ride a week from Sunday and will have to mail order whatever I pick as I live in an area where bike shops are few and far between. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
If it ain't broke

pdainsworth said:
Alright. My saddle of two years, a San Marco Era with hollow ti rails, let go of life today. (Funeral dirge in background...) So, granted, saddles are very personal, but does anyone have any suggestions? I am a big guy (my weight fluctuates between 240-260 lbs) who likes a narrow, firm saddle. I am no weight weenie, obviously, but don't really want a boat anchor, either. I need to decide quickly, as I have an organized ride a week from Sunday and will have to mail order whatever I pick as I live in an area where bike shops are few and far between. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Well it is a little too late for that since your saddle is already broken. But my point is that if you were comfy on the Era, don't go messing around. Get another. Saddle swapping can become an expensive and frustrating addiction.

Nashbar has the Era Pro in black with solid Ti rails for $75 US. No affiliation.

If for some reason you wanted to change, then you might consider the Selle San Marco Aspide or the Fizik Pave, they are both similar to the Era.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I feel strangely compelled to say, "Brooks, of course"

I weigh about the same as you do, and that saddle would cleave me to the shoulder blades before it broke, which would be tomorrow.
If you like it, stick with it, though I'm not sure the Ti rails are a good choice. If you want to change, though, the Brooks Pro might work. It's about 30mm narrower than the wildly-popular-among-lardbutts B-17, and it should last you 20 years.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one at Nashbar is a bit different than the one I've been riding, but that is my current inclination. I was looking at the same webpage.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Get the 'husky' version of whatever Lance rides.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very comfortable on a fizik

If you don't mind spending the money, I'd go for a Fizik Aliante. I weigh 230 pounds and always had discomfort problems with all the seats I had tried until I bought the Aliante. If you buy through Performance bikes you can always return it if you are not "fully satisfied". Get the titanium rails, I hear that the carbon rails have a habit of breaking on clydesdales. Good luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a San Marco Era on my road bike and a San Marco Rolls on my commuter. I currently weigh around 245#. If your Era was "all day comfortable" for you then I think you should replace it with a new Era.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I am bigbill, not quite as big as you but still a big cyclist. I have Selle San Marco Regal saddles on my race and commuting bikes. They are a little wider on the back but still have a narrow nose that even after 10K plus miles has yet to wear the leather. I used to go through a turbomatic a season due to wearing out the leather on the nose. The regal has a nice retro look to it but is still respectable weight wise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The preference of this plus-sized rider:

The Specialized Alias and Avatar come in three different widths and I really like mine.

First measure your sit-bone width on the Specialized "Arse-O-Meter" and then match it to the approriate saddle width.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to stick with the new Era saddle. It is comfy, but the Lorica they use to cover it, now, is a bit slippery. Hopefully it will break in...
Otherwise, great saddle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts