·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been through the following saddles and am still going numb:

Fizik Aliante
Fizik Arione
Terry Men's Ti Fly
Selle San Marcos - came with Trek 5200 It's something like a era Luxe (can't read the crappy logo)
Koobi - PRS
A few serfas models that I don't remember, and a bontrager that had a channel all the way through the middle.

I've done a saddle fitting (on top of all of my random experimenting) and the Fiziks ride the best and keep me from going numb the longest, but after an hour, say goodbye. After a 6 hour ride, I still have partial numbness the next day.

The arione is the best, as it's flatness from side to side keeps my sit bones the most elevated. The Aliante is more rolled from left to right so the middle of the saddle goes, well right up the middle.

Cut outs help, but they don't cure. The PRS and the Ti-Fly were both decent, but the padding on both saddles is near non existant, the numbness comes and the sit bones hurt. :(

Next, I'm going to try tipping the Arione's nose down some. Also on all saddles, moving back on the saddle only makes it worse.

I'm beginning to think I need a wider saddle.

Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. Hold your breath on this one. I'm 6'6" and riding a Trek 5200 that is 62 cm (haven't gathered the cash yet for that Calfee custom).

I have between 10 and 11 cm of drop. Is that way out norm, and hence probably my problem?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think my current stem is 10 degrees upright, I'll look for a 17 degree and see if I can raise the bars.

Thanks for steering me in that the direction, I have been focusing on the area of pain, and probably without cause.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Bar drop could help. A couple other thoughts:

- tilt is really important. I have some saddles that I can't stand if I tilt them a couple of degrees from what works.

- Why not try a Brooks? Everything you are trying are sort of similar. How about a Brooks B-17?

- How about find a really good shop to make sure your fit is OK. If you're not fit right, it could show up at the saddle?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More good tips. I haven't tried the brooks yet, but I've heard about it. I have been fitted by a professional coach, and we both recognize that I'm at the top end for size of what my frame can handle.

I'm going to fiddle with the saddle tilt on my next ride, and I'm going to try a stem with more rise to it as well.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Wider

If you need a wider saddle, the Brooks B-17 is probably your answer. I could never keep my butt comfortable for over an hour until I got one. I also discovered that slight variations in tilt can have a major affect on comfort, and can now ride comfortably on several saddles. I agree that you bar drop might be the real cause of your problem. It might help if you could raise your bars to be level with your saddle and then work down from there to see how much bar drop really suits your comfort level.

Steve

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not too much drop

For your height, 10-11cm is not too much drop. I'm 6'4" with a long inseam, and I ride with a 13 to 15cm drop. I have to agree with earlier posters, in that a lot has to do with the tilt of the saddle. A couple of years ago, I had a numbness problems on my longer rides. A change of the saddle tilt was all that was necessary to take care of the issue. My saddle is almost perfectly level now. Good luck....

By the way, I ride a 63cm Cannondale, which is a touch larger than your Trek

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Perching

In addition to the good advice already (tilt is most important, IME) you might need to consider whether you are sitting on the saddle correctly. The fact that moving the saddle back increased your numbness problems raises the question of whether your sit bones are perched on the but of the saddle. If you do this, it removes nearly all of the pressure from the soft tissues, and pretty much prevents numb parts. Everyone is different, of course, and some people are just more susceptible to this problem than others, but if you don't sit properly on the saddle, no amount of adjustment and no saddle will solve the problem.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm 6'5" and had a similar problem

I rode a 62cm Trek for several years with a mile long seatpost and a 17 degree stem. The only saddle that worked for me was a Selle Italia Prolink, and then only if I got it just right. I went up to a 63cm Cannondale, which was much better, but C'dales have a longer top tube, so it was still not quite right. I ended up getting fitted for a custom Seven and have never looked back. I still ride the Prolink, but getting the right drop and reach has made riding MUCH more comfortable. I rarely have any numbness anymore, and then only on really long rides.

If you are looking for a wider saddle, check out the prolink. However, I would seriously go back to your bike fitter and talk about getting set up for less drop. Once you get it set up, make sure you have the measurements written down (I actually have a level with markings for the right angle for my saddle).

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my 2 cents

try less drop
also - might want to try different shorts
I have tried some shorts that on long rides are a lttle tight upfront
hope this helps

·
Registered
274 Posts
Avocet 02 40m

For a wider saddle I highly recommend the Avocet o2 40M saddle, available in leather with Ti rails, this is the most comfortable saddle I have owned, and like you I have tried many. You can purchase this saddle direct from Avocet, just make sure to get the older model, not the newer one, they differ and the new one is not very comfortable, don't know why they fiddled with the design, the older original model is still available, good luck!

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
If you want to give a Brooks a try, call these guys. Talk to them about what's not working so they can suggest a model.

http://www.wallbike.com/

They are fantastic, and they have a policy that if your Brooks just doesn't feel right they will take it back. Sure, you'll spend $5 more than e-bay, but they are a rock solid business.

I'd give that a try because it's risk free.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Specialized Avatar

Comes in three widths. Reasonably comfy padding, as this saddle has MORE padding than their "racing" version. Supposedly designed by some doctors in an effort to provide greater comfort.

Find an LBS selling these, and be SURE to ask to be fitted so you get the best width for you. They have this little board you sit on where your sit bones leave an impression, and they can then get an accurate measurement for fitting the correct width saddle to you.

Both my wife and I have Avatars on all our bikes (she uses the wide width, I use the medium width). I also tried several saddles and had comfort problems with all of them until I found the Avatar.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
my take...

I might as well chime in.

If you don't have a 2-bolt seatpost for fine angle adjustment, get one or you'll never get the angle right.

You might want to ty the Fizik Gobi. It's one of the few saddles with a rounded side to side profile. The majority these days are pretty flat. I set mine using a level placed on the tail, with the nose about 1cm lower than the tail. This creates a lowest spot toward the middle of the saddle, since, it's also curved from front to back.

The suggestion to reduce drop is valid, but saddle fore/aft position may also be your problem. 10-11cm is really not that extreme for someone of your size. I'm nearly a foot shorter and use a 9cm drop.

Fitters who insist on KOP, often have the rider 1-3cm further forward than is optimum for rider weight balance. A further back saddle will reduce the weight on your hands. The bike's weight balance is also important. Move the saddle too far back and the front may get too light. Try not to get less than 42% on the front, when you're in the drop position.

If you're already using a + or - 10 (80/100) degree stem in the upward position then you know that the head tube length is really too short. If you flip a 73 degree stem, it will raise the bars about 1.5cm, but it will also be a lot shorter. You should buy one size longer stem in the 73 degree angle if you plan to flip it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
13 -15 cm drop? I can't even imagine that. I have lowered the nose of my arione (but it rained yesterday), I may try it tonight or at least get it on the rollers. I've also ordered a stem with more angle to raise the bars and I'll try that when it arrives. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
a common cause for numbness is your pelvis being tilted forward, actually putting your body's wait on the soft tissue area rather than the sit bones. lower back flexibility is important to keep from doing this, so work on your flexibility. when riding, practice keeping your pelvis upright and feel the lower back stretch. From your post, I would agree with bar drop being too much and/or saddle-bars being too far. No one can say your drop is good for your size, except you. No one knows your level of flexibility. Buying more saddles will only make e-bay buyers happy, and probably not cure your problem.

·
Registered
543 Posts
jplatzner said:
Bar drop could help. A couple other thoughts:

- tilt is really important. I have some saddles that I can't stand if I tilt them a couple of degrees from what works.
I 2nd that tilt is important. After purchasing my 3rd saddle and still feeling numbness I was ready to try a 4th. But I resisted and started adjusting the angle of my 3rd saddle. I found the slightest angle adjustment made a big difference. One so small it seemed silly. I eventually used a level to help me. I would bet if I went through the same adjustments with the first 2wo saddles i could also make them eliminate the numbness.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts