Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new saddle the one I have now is rubbing me raw I bought it new about a year ago like when I was tinkering around town on short rides, but since I started putting some distance on it's killing me hasn't stopped me from riding.

the saddle doesn't even have a manufacturers name on it I do now it has gel inserts which really push me forward.

Any recommendations on a saddle I am thinking I want a hard seat instead of cushion. the same way I like my horse saddles.

·
Darling of The Lounge
5,337 Posts
The right saddle for you depend on a number of factors. A saddle that one person swears by will make you swear while riding in pain!

The best advice I can give you is to find bike a bike shop that will allow you to test ride a wide selection of saddles until you find the right one for you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
+1 on the measurement suggestion. I'm sure some will consider the Specialized BG system a gimmick and I would never suggest that it would work for everyone. But it helped me select a saddle that I can tell truly fits my...uh..situation. My Toupe Gel isn't the cushiest saddle out there but I always know EXACTLY where I am on it. For me, if I'm positioned on it for the most comfortable ride I know it immediately. If I slide forward or slide to the right or left, etc, I know immediately and can fix my position accordingly. With other saddles, the touch points between me and saddle were often multiple so it was hard to tell exactly where I was. Hoping I'm making sense...

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Homenetman said:
+1 on the measurement suggestion. I'm sure some will consider the Specialized BG system a gimmick and I would never suggest that it would work for everyone. But it helped me select a saddle that I can tell truly fits my...uh..situation. My Toupe Gel isn't the cushiest saddle out there but I always know EXACTLY where I am on it. For me, if I'm positioned on it for the most comfortable ride I know it immediately. If I slide forward or slide to the right or left, etc, I know immediately and can fix my position accordingly. With other saddles, the touch points between me and saddle were often multiple so it was hard to tell exactly where I was. Hoping I'm making sense...
Saddle preferences are very personal, to be sure. But this isn't the first time I've read that (paraphrasing) the design and shape of the Toupe saddles help keep the rider positioned correctly. I have a little over 1,000 miles on mine and love it. Not saying it'll work for everyone, but it may not be a bad start for the OP.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The new Bontrager InForm saddles work great for me. They aren't obscenely expensive, and are fairly light weight. They also come with a 30-day guarantee (which their dealers are required to honor). Quite a few of the Astana riders have kept the saddle... which is a pretty strong endorsement, since most pro riders are unwilling to switch from the saddle they've been using for years.

·
Registered
125 Posts
yes - if you do a search on "sit bones" I think you'll find good instructions. you basically sit on a piece of paper, reach under your rear and find the two point bones with your fingertips, then leave your hands in place, get off the paper and have someone mark down where your fingertips are. Fairly easy.

The worst part is the ridicule you'll get from spouse/significant other/friend who helps you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.