Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
I read about this the other day. There have been a few deaths in Victoria over recent years, one at the intersection of Wallace Drive and West Saanich Rd, and a very tragic one in Broadmead -- the same road on which I bike commuted to work -- where a man collided with a deer and died. That was an odd one that made residents cry out that the road was an accident waiting to happen, although a deer hopping in front of cyclists has little to do with civil engineering; however I digress.

While I usally live in Victoria, I've just moved back to the UK for a little while and I read this on Canada.com a few days back. It appears the fellow was riding at night, so it's hard to say for sure what happened. It's important for cyclists to ride as defensively as possible, ensuring their lights and safey equipment work as best they can. I don't think the section of road where this occurred is a particularly dangerous area, so with the vehicle driver's and cyclist's actions notwithstanding, I imagine that weather and lighting (darkness) conditions would have played a major role here.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I believe you're right...

I think low visibility played a role as well. However, the city also put "traffic calming" islands on this street this year that made the roadway extremely narrow in spots. Where the collision occured was just beyond one of these islands, so I believe the design of the road, the speed of the vehicle, and possibly driver impairment were also factors. But the worst thing is that the driver left the kid at the scene and kept driving.....

The The said:
I read about this the other day. There have been a few deaths in Victoria over recent years, one at the intersection of Wallace Drive and West Saanich Rd, and a very tragic one in Broadmead -- the same road on which I bike commuted to work -- where a man collided with a deer and died. That was an odd one that made residents cry out that the road was an accident waiting to happen, although a deer hopping in front of cyclists has little to do with civil engineering; however I digress.

While I usally live in Victoria, I've just moved back to the UK for a little while and I read this on Canada.com a few days back. It appears the fellow was riding at night, so it's hard to say for sure what happened. It's important for cyclists to ride as defensively as possible, ensuring their lights and safey equipment work as best they can. I don't think the section of road where this occurred is a particularly dangerous area, so with the vehicle driver's and cyclist's actions notwithstanding, I imagine that weather and lighting (darkness) conditions would have played a major role here.
________
Paxil lawyers

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
Bertrand said:
But the worst thing is that the driver left the kid at the scene and kept driving.....
Certainly the driver has relinquished almost all of his innocence by fleeing the scene. How many people could hit something so large and not stop? Baffling. Utterly baffling.

I've seen those traffic calming devices all over the city. The new devices on the southern end of Shelbourne St certainly seem more detrimental, if anything.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Bertrand said:
There is much sadness in Victoria this week, after a young cyclist was killed by a car. A very popular young man, and a friend of my daughter. She is taking it very badly. I can't imagine how his family feels

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimes...=f40d73a6-78c1-4789-b217-c1a60ba14428&k=87848
Horrible news once again. I am still angered at the slap-on-the-wrist that was handed to the W Saanich Rd Murderer.

Fortunately, drivers in Victoria are relatively well-behaved around cyclists. The road designs don't help much, with many blind corners, poor street lighting, lack of back street alternatives and frequently wet roads. I've had a few scary incidents out in the Western Communities with ******* in pickups (they won't cross the median to give space), but the genteel folk here in the Eastern part of town are civil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts