Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was contemplating buying a 350mm carbon seatpost because it's a great price... however I only need about 300mm, maybe even 250 mm of length. Is it safe to have a full carbon seatpost cut to size (by my LBS) just like a carbon steerer or integrated seat mast can be cut?

Thanks very much for your replies!

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
I cut my CF campy record one by a few cm's without any issues. In fact, it finished real cleanly, unlike my buddy's CF steerer tube that looked all rough and ratty.

I still prefer a thomson aluminum model, cuz it's less costly and you can't tell any difference in ride.

·
Registered
342 Posts
it's ok to cut but use a sharp and very fine 32 tooth hack-saw blade. Sand any sharp edges when your done with medium grit sand-paper to avoid stress-risers.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
draganM said:
it's ok to cut but use a sharp and very fine 32 tooth hack-saw blade. Sand any sharp edges when your done with medium grit sand-paper to avoid stress-risers.
This...

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
skaruda_23 said:
I was contemplating buying a 350mm carbon seatpost because it's a great price... however I only need about 300mm, maybe even 250 mm of length. Is it safe to have a full carbon seatpost cut to size (by my LBS) just like a carbon steerer or integrated seat mast can be cut?

Thanks very much for your replies!
I always like to answer this question with a question - why?

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it would be pretty weight weenie-ish of me. I may not even buy the seatpost; I was mainly just curious if anyone had ever done it before with success.

Thanks everybody for your comments and help.

·
791 Posts
terry b said:
I knew something was keeping me out of Le Tour.
Hmmmm.... and I thought it were da doping? :idea: :D

In all seriousness... if you want to drop weight on bikes there are lots of little things like that which all add up. Some folks don't care. YMMV.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
been200mph said:
Hmmmm.... and I thought it were da doping? :idea: :D

In all seriousness... if you want to drop weight on bikes there are lots of little things like that which all add up. Some folks don't care. YMMV.
I cared one time. Built a 15 pounder starting with a 57cm Orbea Starship frame and a bunch of other stuff. It was nice, but really nothing more than an exercise in spending money and internet research. And putting a 9v battery in my postal scale.

Still didn't make the Euskatel Tour team that year. And I thought it was my lack of Basque language skills.

·
791 Posts
terry b said:
I cared one time. Built a 15 pounder starting with a 57cm Orbea Starship frame and a bunch of other stuff. It was nice, but really nothing more than an exercise in spending money and internet research. And putting a 9v battery in my postal scale.

Still didn't make the Euskatel Tour team that year. And I thought it was my lack of Basque language skills.
Or maybe you couldn't hang with them at the txikiteo and they gave you the boot? :ihih:

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
been200mph said:
Or maybe you couldn't hang with them at the txikiteo and they gave you the boot? :ihih:
Exactly!

If I'd only cut that extra 50mm off of my Deda post and gained the climbing speed I'd be sitting in a seaside cantina in Bilbao trading beers and shots of grappa with Iban Mayo and Haimar Zubeldia instead of being in this stinky conference room with the bare walls in a Northern Chinese seaport ignoring something I should be listening to.

·
791 Posts
terry b said:
Exactly!

If I'd only cut that extra 50mm off of my Deda post and gained the climbing speed I'd be sitting in a seaside cantina in Bilbao trading beers and shots of grappa with Iban Mayo and Haimar Zubeldia instead of being in this stinky conference room with the bare walls in a Northern Chinese seaport ignoring something I should be listening to.
I KNEW IT! lolz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts