Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have commuted and lived by bike for four years now. I've also ridden motorcycles in the past so I have experience living with both. My question stems from a discussion with my girlfriend after she freaked to the notion of me maybe getting a motorcycle again for longer rides across the state and such. She is of the opinion that they are way to dangerous, and I countered with the fact that safety wise I'm already running the same risk.

What is your opinion on which posses the most risk: Riding on public roads by bike or motorcycle considering you keep the same mindset on safety while riding both?

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Motos...

I've ridden both, though not back to back, and it's all bikes now.

Being in a moto on a freeway full of cages is scarier than anything I do on a bike.

When you DO go down on a moto, it hurts a bunch more. But, you can wear protective gear that is thick enough to actually protect you without it being TOO uncomfortables.

Statistics on risk for bicycles COMMUTERS is hard to find -- bike crash stats usually just include "all cyclist," and that's the DUI bike going the wrong way in the dark as much as it is you.

Moto data is a little firmer, and it does appear that they are much more dangerous than cages, but THAT includes Joe Squid on his Hayabusa.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have done both, crashed both - Hard.

Never again on the moto. Never again. Lived through it, was able to walk away, lesson learned.
I never kissed up to the AB (Guard) rail at 75 on my bicycle.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Some numbers

Fallguy007 said:
I have commuted and lived by bike for four years now. I've also ridden motorcycles in the past so I have experience living with both. My question stems from a discussion with my girlfriend after she freaked to the notion of me maybe getting a motorcycle again for longer rides across the state and such. She is of the opinion that they are way to dangerous, and I countered with the fact that safety wise I'm already running the same risk.

What is your opinion on which posses the most risk: Riding on public roads by bike or motorcycle considering you keep the same mindset on safety while riding both?
The fatality rate for every million hours spent cycling is 0.26, compared to 0.47 per million driving hours (on-road motorcycling comes in at a whopping 8.80 deaths per million motorcycling hours). For every million cyclists in the US, 16.5 die each year, whereas for every million motorists, 19.9 die each year.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Riding a motorcycle is much more likely to result in serious injury or death. Reaction time at 25mph on a 25 lb bicycle is much more effective than the same reaction time on a 500 pound motorcycle traveling at 50 mph. Even if the motorcycle is traveling at bicycle speeds, it is harder to maneuver out of trouble than a bicycle.

That said...I choose to live with the risk. I have a 99 Honda CBR600F4 sport bike which I love to ride. I've been riding street bikes for about 15 years and have had only one unplanned off-road excursion which luckily was very minor.

·
Registered
120 Posts
MB1 said:
Go faster, die harder.

I'm just sayin'.
+1......(had to meet a 5 character length requirement)

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
I used to ride motos. I low sided my suzuki sv650 a few years ago and ended up on crutches for awhile (to put it mildly). I rode again after that, but ended up selling the bike eventually. I still hear the call of the wild and know that I would love to ride again.... but I think back to how easy it is to twist the throttle and get going way too fast way too quickly.

I think we're better off working for our velocity.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've ridden motos for 20+ years as well as bicycling. Motos can have some positive benefits that carry over to cycling. Mainly a heightened sense of road and traffic awareness. The mindset of assuming that NO driver sees you and being decisive with your intentions and actions on a moto or bicycle in traffic cannot be understated. Whether I'm throwing a leg over my bicycle or my moto, I always adopt a "pay attention" attitude. Lets face it, any activity you put a helmet on for should cause you to pay attention. The nature of riding a bicycle or moto is a very active and engaging experience. Driving in a cage has become too comfortable and passive IMHO which leads to inattention and accidents. My .02

singlecross

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I just got a motorcycle and I've been riding it most of the summer. I love it. I'm paranoid of other drives but thats a good thing. Safe cycling translates into safe motorcycling. Rule of thumb... don't let them hit you.

Either way we only live once.. enjoy life.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
nonsleepingjon said:
I think we're better off working for our velocity.
Very nice. Good thought about wearing helmets too (ala singlecross).

I've never ridden a motorcycle but thought a lot about it over the years. Seems like every time I got the bug and started talking to people I know who ride, soon after I'd see a serious accident. I've decided to stop thinking about them...

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Motorcycles are great, but they are more dangerous.

Think of it this way- a canoe on a flat lake is pretty safe- you can still get hurt, you can fall out, you can get run over buy a boat, but generally, if you know what you're doing, your pretty safe.

That's riding a bike.

A kayak in class 4-5 water is a lot less safe- you can easily get hurt and even if you know what you are doing, making a mistake has far greater implications- get sucked into a hole, get pinned on a rock. Getting killed is still pretty rare, but there's a lot more chances for things to go sideways.

That's a motorcycle.

At least, that's my experience.

·
carpe omnes
185 Posts
The risk in riding both are roughly the same, but the consequences are multiplied on the motorcycle. I take nice easy rides all the time. I never ride the lines or take chances. There's just too many bad drivers in NJ.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have ridden for many years and have had many motorcycles. I feel WAY less safe on a bicycle. You're on the right side of a lane and very vulnerable to what you can't see coming behind you. Plus many cars don't think you deserve any type of right of way.

My acceleration and ability to take an entire lane make motorcycling safer.

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Vacationing on a motor cycle would be a lot of fun.

I gave mine up after 2 seasons because it took away too much time from bicycling.

·
Registered
39 Posts
T-shirt said:
Vacationing on a motor cycle would be a lot of fun.

I gave mine up after 2 seasons because it took away too much time from bicycling.
That's funny. My poor motorcycles now just sit in the garage since I discovered road cycling.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
The fatality rate for every million hours spent cycling is 0.26, compared to 0.47 per million driving hours (on-road motorcycling comes in at a whopping 8.80 deaths per million motorcycling hours). For every million cyclists in the US, 16.5 die each year, whereas for every million motorists, 19.9 die each year.
The best reply answer in my opinion. Where did you get your facts?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would think that highways have a lot to do with the motorcycle fatalities - seems like they're more visible and safer on city streets than bicycles.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Reading a few motorcycle safety books I've found that statistically riding on major highways is actually safer than in small towns, and cities.

On the "super slabs" you don't have parked cars, side streets, peds, cyclists, dogs, kids, toys, and many other things that can come in your way. Sure the speeds are higher if you do get in a wreck but the chances of that wreck are smaller.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts