Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
EuroCrash
478 Posts
lactic acidosis said:
The risk in riding both are roughly the same, but the consequences are multiplied on the motorcycle....
I think you're mixing up the terms
Risk= probability x consequence

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
I think motorcycles are more dangerous. Higher speeds is higher impact during a collision.

Yes, you can go with the flow of traffic more but you are often in the flow of traffic, on busy streets that I would never cycle on, as opposed to on smaller less traveled roads, bike blvds, or bike paths. On a bicycle you have vehicles passing on the left at higher speeds but on a mc you have vehicles on the left coming at you at high speeds since you are in the middle of the lane instead of the shoulder. MCs still have to deal with the left hooks and right crosses but the impact speeds are much higher.

Mr. Irons's numbers numbers are interesting but without knowing what they represent I wonder how relevant they are. If you are just considering adults who are trying to ride safe you could eliminate all the child deaths on bicycles or the wrong way rider type people (which may be significant) and on the mc the young hotshots who speed.

It seems about half of mc riders die from their own mistakes and with a bicycle that seems rare. A mc is very unforgiving of mistakes however.

In the SF bay area I'm guessing there are probably about equal or greater number of bicycle than mc riders but the mc rider deaths are much more frequent judging by the notices posted on the internet forums of each respective site. Many of those happen on the crowded highways here during commuting (where there are no bicycle riders).

Oil slicks, debris in the road, animals jumping out present more of a danger to mc riders.

http://bicyclesafe.com/

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
from personal experience, i've had a significant number of crashes/injuries from riding my bicycles, then from riding a motorbike(vespa P-200 and triumph bonneville) over the last 17 years of doing both. if I add the years before I got the vespa, then I should probably not even be on a bicycle because of the injuries or crashes i had and their apparent "dangerousness".

0 Posts
I've had a number of motorcycles. I loved riding those things.

Motorcycles and bicycles each have inherent risks. But with a motorcycle, when things go wrong, they go wrong in a big way.

I feel safer on a bicycle.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Slim Again said:
I've had a number of motorcycles. I loved riding those things.

Motorcycles and bicycles each have inherent risks. But with a motorcycle, when things go wrong, they go wrong in a big way.

I feel safer on a bicycle.
Yep, what he said. Bicycle accidents are more frequent, by far. If the OP's GF equates that with the frequency in which a motorcycle goes down, her fears are unfounded. Just don't have an accident on your motorcycle.:rolleyes:

I still own and occasionally ride a sport bike. But I get more enjoyment out of bicycling. And it works my anaerobic threshhold better!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a moto for 13 years. Some years it was my only form of transportation.
When my daughter was born, I sold the moto and went pedal power.

The biggest difference to me is that I ride my bycycle on side streets, sometimes the sidewalk, bike lanes, and roads less traveled by cars. The moto was really in the thick of it by sharing the road with cars.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Motorcycles are more dangerous due to the speeds. Also, you tend to ride more in traffic and busy roads on a moto. The only advantage to a moto is that you are probably less likely to be hit from behind, but I'm not even too sure about that.

I rode a motorcycle all through high school and part of college, and I think it made me a much better driver and bicyclist. You learn to be very defensive and aware of traffic around you. However, I consider myself lucky to have survived my motorcycle years. I had one accident, but it was off-road riding trails and broke my collarbone.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think it's what you get used to

Hi,

I'm 45 and have ridden motorcycles since I was 14. Living in So Cal you can ride all ride so my longest lay off was maybe 6 weeks? I suppose if I added it up I have something like 300,000 + miles on motorcycles. Worst accident was solo, all my fault, lost the front wheel braking hard on sand at ~20mph. I ended up with outpatient knee surgery and coincedentally the accident (eventually) led me to cycling. I've been biking regularly; commuting, club rides, solo, shopping, a tiny bit of MTBing for about 8 years. Worst bicycle accident 2 broken fingers, a thumb, and road rash (ouch!).

Over the years like others have stated I've developed a 6th sense about drivers, it sounds weird or maybe even concieted, but I can tell by cues like head movements, vehicle speed, their eyes or expression whether or not they see me and if they are about to turn into my path or do something unpredictable. I could have developed the same skills biking but I did it motorcycling and so I "feel" safer motorcycling than biking.

I gear up always, the minimum is jacket, jeans, boots, gloves, full face helmet. Jeans will shred instantly when you hit the pavement so 75% or more of the time I wear a condura suit that is padded and goes on like coveralls over whatever clothes I'm wearing. It's vented and I can wear it pretty much year round.

People have mentioned speed, I tend to use that to my advantage, to get out of trouble that on bicycle may be unavoidable, and as others have said the ability to take the whole lane without pissing everybody off is a safety + for motorcycles in my book.

Overall both sports are worth the risk for me, the observation skills translate from one to another, I'm amazed sometimes on a club ride what some others cyclists "miss" and then create their own close calls. Fortunately I've never wittnessed 1st hand a car vs. bike accident I hope I never do.

I sure fight over the time though, right now I'd rather spend 4 hours pedalling than motorcycling most Saturdays. I need to win the lotto so I can do both!

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
Everyone perceives safety differently. I rode motorcycles for 18 years and even spent five years as a MSF instructor. I gave it up because I enjoy bicycling a lot more.

In general I feel a lot less safe on my bicycle. The speed differential between cars and bikes really scares me.

Yet... I don't hesitate to pedal down to the pub, have a few beers, and pedal home. I would *never* have done that on my motorcycle. Not rational, but I just don't perceive the same mortal danger on my bicycle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've laid both down (low side) and I've been hit by cars and hospitalized on both. That said you're simply going faster on a motorcycle therefore any impact is going to be greater.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I take my SS MTB to work 1/2 the time and my BMW the other half (till winter hits).

If I had to give up one, I would say it would be the m-cycle.
I laid down my BMW recently I got my side bag caught on my bike rack.:cryin:

Messed up my brake pedal on the m-cyle and broke off one of my Saris clips on the bike rack...so I did a 2 fer thank goodness the bicycle wasn't on it.

I was trying to squeeze in the garage. Bad idea.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I feel safer in Bicycle becos of speed issue. Motorbike is dangerous especially in wet condition when u used to dry condition in braking and stoppage. It will takes a few times to wake yrself up of more braking distance.

Regarding, vehicle coming from rear. If motorbike need side mirror I don't know why bicycle needs to be exclude from the rules too if on road? For commuting , I always have a side mirror on my bicycle. I have no problem of high speed coming from behind as I have my anticipation and evasion.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Both can be dangerous even if your being careful. I've been hospitalized from both, bicycle crash required more medical care. I've always tell new motorcycist if you have to think about it ,its too late.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Fallguy007 said:
What is your opinion on which posses the most risk: Riding on public roads by bike or motorcycle considering you keep the same mindset on safety while riding both?
I ride both and I ride like I'm invisible to all the cagers - so yes, same mindset.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
The fatality rate for every million hours spent cycling is 0.26, compared to 0.47 per million driving hours (on-road motorcycling comes in at a whopping 8.80 deaths per million motorcycling hours). For every million cyclists in the US, 16.5 die each year, whereas for every million motorists, 19.9 die each year.
Very cool Kerry- I take comfort in numbers/ stats like this; especially because a woman that works in my lab just got out of the ICU after she was forced off the road on her bicycle, and I have been very spooked since her accident.

I would say, if you ride a bike or motor bike, the route is key! If you are riding on roads that people are used to seeing bikes- they might actually see you (and the data backs me up on this).............MTT:thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been doing both for 40 years. If you take the activity seriously,...study, practice, don't use drugs or drink and ride in places most friendly to two wheels, you'll be way ahead of the statistics. I wouldn't think of giving up either nor measuring one against the other.

Life is risk. No one gets out of here alive.

·
rider of odd bikes...
157 Posts
I'm a little late to the party here, but here's some advice from an old rider.

When I was a kid, I got my first 10 speed bike in 1968 and rode it hard until I got my first motorcycle in 1971, sold the bike and didn't have another for years. I rode motorcycles for over twenty-five years and probably rode well over 250k miles on them. I put 60k miles on my '82 BMW R100RT alone in three years from '83-86. I collaborated a little for Rider Magazine (a sport-touring publication) out of Agoura, CA back then, and got to know the editor and some of the other writers. They rode motorcycles for a living, and bicycles for fun. I wondered about their sanity... after all, nothing was better than a motorcycle... right? I had my fair share of crashes and walked away from them all. In 1995, at age 40, I had a run-in in NoCal with a couple of deer. I missed the first one completely, but caught the tail of the second with my right knee at speed... I wobbled a little, but didn't go down...

After some consideration, I realized that I probably didn't heal as fast at 40 as I did at 20, and some of the joy of riding motorcycles was gone for me. I ended up selling my last motorcycle in '96.

A couple of years ago, after figuring out I was incredibly out of shape and hating it, I re-discoverd bicycles... and have been having a ball again. I am having as much or more fun than I had with my first 10 speed way back when, and now I understand what the guys at Rider Magazine were telling me back in the mid-'80s about why they rode bicycles for fun.

I am currently most likely the oldest living certified bicycle cop in Iowa.:D I took the bike officer's course earlier this year, and I couldn't believe how much I didn't know about riding a bike, even after riding for over 40 years.

If you live long enough, I guess life always comes full circle.

So... my advice: If you choose to ride a motorcycle... make sure that you take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation riding course. No matter what your current riding skill set, you'll learn something new that may save your life on a motorcycle (or bicycle, for that matter.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
t3chi3 said:
I have ridden for many years and have had many motorcycles. I feel WAY less safe on a bicycle. You're on the right side of a lane and very vulnerable to what you can't see coming behind you. Plus many cars don't think you deserve any type of right of way.

My acceleration and ability to take an entire lane make motorcycling safer.
+1
This is how I feel although I'm peddling more than motorcycling lately.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts