Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was in my mid twenties when I sold my first motorcycle. I rode with some friends and we went fast all the time. I was afraid I'd end up in a wheel chair or dead. I knew 7 people that all died the same way, crossing the center line in the twisties and hitting a car head on. I really got into cycling at that time and have not known any one to die or be severely injured on a bicycle. I did get another motor bike, but had gained a little self control as well. Really enjoying cycling now, but wouldn't mind an SV650 for tooling around one when not on my bicycle.

·
rider of odd bikes...
157 Posts
Folks are killed on bicycles regularly, but pedestrians are killed by vehicles as well. They are typically hit by another vehicle. Bicyclists are seldom killed when they crash by themselves; not so motorcycles. The speed involved in single-vehicle crashes is the primary difference in single vehicle crash survivability in comparing the risk between the two. You don't see many bicycles lane-splitting on the freeway in traffic at speed.

A friend of my mine on her new roadie was recently hit by a 22 year old woman driving at 55 mph while texting. Luck was riding with my friend, though, as her injuries were minor, and her brand new road bike was had little damage. Her impact with the ground did split her helmet tho. It did exactly what it was designed to do for her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fallguy007 said:
I have commuted and lived by bike for four years now. I've also ridden motorcycles in the past so I have experience living with both. My question stems from a discussion with my girlfriend after she freaked to the notion of me maybe getting a motorcycle again for longer rides across the state and such. She is of the opinion that they are way to dangerous, and I countered with the fact that safety wise I'm already running the same risk.

What is your opinion on which posses the most risk: Riding on public roads by bike or motorcycle considering you keep the same mindset on safety while riding both?

I was a bike messenger for over 12 years. I also did motorcycle messengering for a few years. I've been hit on my bicycle and gone down hard too many times to remember. I never used a helmet and never got any bad injuries. I've gone down on my motorcycle 6 times in the last 20 years, I always wear full protection(from head to toe) and I've been in the hospital 4 out of the 6 wrecks, broken over 30 bones(including the knees 3 times). I've become use to sharp pains waking me up every night. And I'm told I'm a very good rider(also raced AMA for three years, with no injuries)

Good Luck with your motorcycle.:mad2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
selling my scooter...

had a buyer come out and lowball me yesterday. The point has come where I had gotten it out of my system. For the final time, I turned it over. I had become familiar with being on the scooter; but also a point where I no longer felt safe. I truly enjoyed commuting, and sharing that with my teen son. Many times we'd ride together-him to school and to summer camp, me to work. But an opportunity came up where I could ride my bike home from work; and also enjoy the ride in the auto in the mornings with my wife. Any time spent with the Mrs. is a good thing. Going down to firing up one vehicle seemed like the way to go.

Also, I am on the prowl for a new bike and really couldn't justify the bill or keeping up with the scooter as well. I am inspired by those who commute by bike entirely and that seems to be a reasonable goal. There will be days that the weather will be uncooperative but that is no differerent than from anyone else who commutes by bike.

Soon after I got the scooter I became aware of my visibility to others. I soon purchased a highly reflective vest and wore that always. But lately I could no longer avoid my inner thoughts about other people's distractions: specifically with cell phone use and texting. I truly felt like I could not recover from someone else's one moment of not paying attention.

So I am at another path in the journey of life and I think each person has their own perspective in relation to the motorcycle. Quite simply for me it comes down to just simply riding my bike makes me happy. I'll go with that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I strongly believe riding a motorbike in a 30mph zone is safer than riding on a pushbike in a 30mph zone. Definitely with a loud exhaust anyway as everybody can hear you coming and not only that, a motorbike is somewhat bigger and more visible and you keep up with the flow of traffic too so you haven't got the rest of the traffic constantly over taking you giving some the opportunity to get stupidly close and fast while over taking. Another thing is I find all the hard work of peddling effects your concentration taking your eye's and mind off the road more despite it being good exercise for you. When I'm on the motorbike my mind and full focus is on the road much more than when I'm on pushbike as the rest of my body is relaxed. I've had many more incidents and accidents on my road bike than I have riding my MT09 Tracer motorcycle in the same amount of time.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
I strongly believe riding a motorbike in a 30mph zone is safer than riding on a pushbike in a 30mph zone. Definitely with a loud exhaust anyway as everybody can hear you coming and not only that, a motorbike is somewhat bigger and more visible and you keep up with the flow of traffic too so you haven't got the rest of the traffic constantly over taking you giving some the opportunity to get stupidly close and fast while over taking. Another thing is I find all the hard work of peddling effects your concentration taking your eye's and mind off the road more despite it being good exercise for you. When I'm on the motorbike my mind and full focus is on the road much more than when I'm on pushbike as the rest of my body is relaxed. I've had many more incidents and accidents on my road bike than I have riding my MT09 Tracer motorcycle in the same amount of time.
Nice thread dredge. .Almost 12 years to the day since the last comment before yours. Loud motorcycles are only loud going away. From behind they creep up just like a car. And despite your beliefs, the actual data say that motorcycles are 8 times more dangerous than bicycles on a per-hour basis. This according to the US NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I rode motorcycles from age 18 and I saw the dangers of riding go up until at age 50 I sold my last motorcycle, despite swearing that I would die with a motorcycle key in my pocket. The reality is that cell phones have made it too dangerous, I daily see at least one or two drivers leave their lanes, go off the road, or fail to stop/start at an intersection because their conversation, voiced or texted, is more important than managing the 2-3 thousand pounds of metal, glass and human they are in control of.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts