Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
downhill quickly
755 Posts
Gauntlet? More like pushing the nuke button on the first day with the 213km pancake battle field of Porto-Vecchio/Bastia. With the first day energy and the jersey(s) potential bragging rights into day two it maybe one of the most powerful and dangerous point to point days we've seen in a few years.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Cav seems to do pretty good for himself when he has a team willing to help him. He could have done much better last year when Sagan won the jersey had Sky had any interest in the jersey. Don't underestimate Cav because Sagan has won races (when Cav isn't there). Who exactly leads the Cannondale train? Do they have the world ITT champion to steamroll the leadout?

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Sagan is an amazing talent - especially his ability to hang on at the front end during a stage and then be in the mix for a victory when it gets hairy in the last km as well as a pretty good ITT - as good an all-rounder sprinter hybrid as we are likely to see.
But given a flat stage or enough Kms to catch back on after a tough climb - Cav's your man for the sprint stages.

The fight for the green jersey should be just as exciting as the fight for the yellow this year - I hope.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Contrast:

My goal is clear: to defend my green jersey and get the most stage wins I can. It won’t be easy because I’ll be up against Cavendish, Greipel and Goss. You can’t have a bad day, you’ve got to choose the right tactics and you need a strong team.
-Sagan

I don’t fear anybody. It’s irrelevant who’s there. There are some strong guys but if you’re looking at the other guys, you’re not looking at the goal, which is crossing the finish line first.
-Cavendish

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Here's another article from cyclingnews re: OPQ. Rolf Aldag says:

"Cav is there to try and win stages, and of course one of the big goals of Mark is to go for the yellow jersey on the first day," ...
"Mark will be able to count on the same leadout of the Giro d'Italia. They are already tested in race situations and will be ready again. Steegmans will be the last man, and Matteo Trentin will be the second to last man. But, all the team will be committed with Mark when the stage will fit his characteristics. Tony Martin will be there to ride to the 'Flamme Rouge' on the flat stages. He will bring Matteo, Gert and Cav into the best position possible in the final kilometer."

What I like about this is that OPQ isn't even trying to pretend they have any other intentions. No mention of looking for "opportunities" on rolling stages, or second-rate climber expecting to "stay in the hunt in the Alps", as we usually read in the leadup to the tdF.

Aldag just lays it down: this is what we're going to do, this is how we're going to do it, and this is who we're going to do it with.

I'm afraid Sagan, who I think is an awesome rider, will have his hands full trying for Green this year.

JSR

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How many times has Cav specifically targeted green? Seems in the past he's mainly been interested in winning stages rather than going for points and contesting intermediate sprints. It does seem he's improved his endurance and climbing in the past year and a half or so, which gives him a much better shot at green, IMO.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Probably never has been said by any cyclist ever but, I wish I could climb as good as Cav.
Haha so true. Cav only has trouble (as in seeing grimmace on his face) with a sustained (5-6 km) at 7%+ gradient. Anything less than 5% his facial expression is that of comfortable and effortless.

But if he wants to go for Green or points, he'll need to get over some of those 7-10% kickers in a breakaway group, while not running himself into the ground. Sagan can do this, Cav can't.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
It would be interesting to see what kind of speed the autobus climbs in the mountains. Even though climbing is my strong suit, relativly speaking, I have a feeling that the autobus would leave me in the dust.

No doubt Cav is the best bunch sprinter. Sagan is more versatile, especially if there's a slight uphill at or near the finish. I'm digging that it could go either way at this point.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Probably never has been said by any cyclist ever but, I wish I could climb as good as Cav.
perhaps, you mean any PRO cyclist perhaps...he's a pro, of course he can climb a gazillion times better than you or i (i presume you're not a pro). as with almost any pro in almost any sport, there's a standard which you and i could only aspire to.

his performance in the giro certainly improved my impression of his climbing abilities, still compared to sagan, he's out of his depth on the big climbs.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm liking this Sagan more and more everyday. I think he'll take green jersey again.
He really is a joy to watch. I'm kicking a friend of mine who is leaving Paris the day before the Tour roles down the Champs-élysées. She will be there for half the tour but won't catch a single bit of it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.