Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's certainly not a Spring chicken anymore, but I am kind of surprised that Bora would be okay with a move like this given how popular he is (even when he's not winning frequently like he used to). The drama behind it all should be fun if it goes down and I can absolutely see why Specialized backs this move.

·
Super Moderator
40,432 Posts
Back on topic, which is about Sagan moving to another team.

·
Registered
877 Posts
He reportedly makes $5mil a year (I suppose this could change). Smaller teams likely can't afford him. His choices will definitely be limted...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Whether Bora lets him go will probably depend on how well he does once he's completely recovered from the training setback caused by COVID. If he's a factor in the northern classics and takes the green jersey at the Tour again, I suspect they'll keep him. That is unless DQ makes him a better offer.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He reportedly makes $5mil a year (I suppose this could change). Smaller teams likely can't afford him. His choices will definitely be limted...
Yeah, a number of the articles have already acknowledged that he's probably not worth $5mil a year anymore. Christ Froome was getting paid about that much too and those days are probably gone for both of them. Specialized will probably supplement his salary to get him to Quickstep so he stays on their bikes. That's the factor that could possibly make that situation work if Bora has decided it's time to move on.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Sagan is still the highest profile guy on their team of course and also the guy most often at the front when it counts, from that team. He also is the type of rider who makes his own luck, even without much support from his teams in the past eg for TDF stage wins and points. To win classics DQS is the place to be but I'm not so sure Sagan is a classics rider any longer. He might do just fine in the grand tours going for points jerseys and BHG will do fine for him for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts