Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
His rear wheel spun out and went sideways at least 3x times in final sprint.

Too much power!

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
He had the speed and power to over take Gripel. He started a couple seconds too late and spun out on the road markings. Otherwise he would've won.
Ahhhh, the ol' woulda-coulda-shoulda. There were some that were travelling faster than Cav in the sprints he won by the rule of "first over the line" and the rule of "highest velocity" is never used in road sprinting. Gripel got it all right (placing, timing, speed) so he was the winner.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
I usually do it when I'm not spun up immediately before the sprint and pull up hard on the pedals (out of the saddle). The rear wheel jumps laterally, and that's nothing but wasted effort that could have been propelling me forward.

Greipel got it right, and I'm glad to see it. He gets overshadowed by Kittel, Sagan, and Cavendish, but he's one hell of a sprinter. I was hoping he'd get his win this edition.

The tighter venues for sprint finishes have made it hard for the guys who rely on large HTC-esque trains, so now they get one or two guys at most, and a lot of sprinters are shadowing each other in the finale instead of sitting behind their own guys. Tactically it's a lot more fun for me to watch. Positioning is everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts