Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was basically all set on ordering a Campeon frame from my LBS today. When the owner checked on it, he said it was discontinued. Anybody else hear this? What the hell? Why discontinue what seems like a great and popular frame? It sucks! I was really looking forward to that frame.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
There are lots of new salsa campeon frames out there at reduced prices. Since you know your size you will end up saving yourself some dollars by this development. Google the bike and you will find some for sale cheap. Aluminum bikes are not popular at this point, as rubber lizzard said. This isn't a surprise to me that salsa isn't selling them any more. Excel bike started to disco them two or three years ago and they still have a couple of them in inventory.

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
This must be a new development, because this is a very popular bike. I bought one just over a month ago from my LBS. I'm gonna with my shop and find out the scoop!

Tim

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Really?

takl23 said:
this is a very popular bike.

Tim
What makes you think that? I'm not sure that I've ever seen one on the road. Don't get me wrong it's a good bike, as many aluminum race bikes are, but popular? I can't think of one popular aluminum bike being produced today. Most companies top bikes are all carbon. Cannondale was the last aluminum hold out with the System Six, and they have finally capitulated with the Super Six.

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
AlexCad5 said:
What makes you think that? I'm not sure that I've ever seen one on the road. Don't get me wrong it's a good bike, as many aluminum race bikes are, but popular? I can't think of one popular aluminum bike being produced today. Most companies top bikes are all carbon. Cannondale was the last aluminum hold out with the System Six, and they have finally capitulated with the Super Six.
Because you haven't seen one, doesn't mean it's not popular. I never seen a system six on the road so does that mean it's not popular? There are a lot of people around me, including me that ride one. The price for what you get out this bike can't be beat.

Tim

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
takl23 said:
Because you haven't seen one, doesn't mean it's not popular. I never seen a system six on the road so does that mean it's not popular? There are a lot of people around me, including me that ride one. The price for what you get out this bike can't be beat.

Tim
So they discontinued selling the bike because they couldn't keep up with the demand? That must be it! Agreed, you can't beat the bike for the price, however. I have owned 5 aluminum frames including my current one ,a Merckx Team SC, so I understand the value of the material. I simply don't think any aluminum bike is popular in terms of units sold. Please don't think I'm getting down on your purchase. I'm not. But you should face the reality that carbon is king right now.

·
Registered
421 Posts
With the Campeon being discontinued, all that remains from Salsa are a variety of MTB and Cross style frames. For this reason, I'm betting a new high-end road race model is coming very soon to fill this void.

I also suspect it will be a full composite design (shocker, I know! :p). Recent Salsa blog entries even mention them going to China to meet with various plants who specialize in producing carbon frames.

Paul

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Could be, but their most recent bikes are not CF (e.g. the Chili Con Crosso, Casseroll, La Cruz). It seems odd that they would allow a total lapse in their performance road offerings if they were planning to remain in that market (as opposed to phasing something in or at least announcing it to keep people on the hook).

IMO, they are letting go of that niche. The Campeon is joining the La Raza, Primero & El Go Go. None of these bikes were in competition with other QBP owned brands AFAIK, so it seems reasonable to conclude that they simply did not sell well enough.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Salsa really stuck out 5 years ago or so when they offered superb aluminum and steel frames of the same caliber as the big guys while costing a whole lot less.
Now the market is demanding carbon. The mid to high end road market is almost exclusively carbon fiber and decent carbon fiber frames are cheap. I'm sure if the market shifted towards aluminum or steel frames Salsa will be right there on the bandwagon making great frames again. The guys who design the bikes at QBP always seem to know the market trends, and the trend is carbon fiber which probably isn't where they want to go right now.

What size are you after, I'm sure that someone somewhere knows of the size you are after in a shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.