Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my triple Shimano LX rings with a Salsa 36/48 set. I also replaced the chain with a SRAM ?. The cassette is new also. I could not apply any pressure when in the small ring. The chain skipped. I am hoping that a few miles will wear this problem out.

Any similar experiences?

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Different but Similar

ORdirtydown said:
I replaced my triple Shimano LX rings with a Salsa 36/48 set. I also replaced the chain with a SRAM? The cassette is new also. I could not apply any pressure when in the small ring. The chain skipped. I am hoping that a few miles will wear this problem out.
I replaced my worn Shimano 39 with a new Shimano 39 but didn't replace the chain. I couldn't get the chain to drop on the 39 for crap. I replaced the worn chain (Shimano) with a new SRAM. Initially I had some issues, but in no time it was dropping on the 39 fine. I would imagine that your issues will iron out soon -- just spend a lot of time on the small ring to wear it in a little.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
ORdirtydown said:
I replaced my triple Shimano LX rings with a Salsa 36/48 set. I also replaced the chain with a SRAM ?. The cassette is new also. I could not apply any pressure when in the small ring. The chain skipped. I am hoping that a few miles will wear this problem out.

Any similar experiences?
Skipped in the back or the front? If the back, you sure you got the derailleur adjusted right? I had something of the same problem last night on my night ride. Turns out the wrench that turned the barrel adjusters wasn't cailbrated right...

Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MShaw said:
Skipped in the back or the front? If the back, you sure you got the derailleur adjusted right? I had something of the same problem last night on my night ride. Turns out the wrench that turned the barrel adjusters wasn't cailbrated right...

Mike
After we replaced the cassette and made some adjustments to the derailleur and hanger, the wrench and a friend watched closely as I was able to replicate the problem immediately in the parking lot. That is how we determined it was the small front ring. No problem with the large ring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts