Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
Didn't they used to have a Ti version of the Warbird?

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Salsa has some really smart designs for practical bikes.

They don't say much about what tubes they use though as far as I could see. So I gotta wonder if they are just another Surly with nicer paint.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
Salsa has some really smart designs for practical bikes.

They don't say much about what tubes they use though as far as I could see. So I gotta wonder if they are just another Surly with nicer paint.
Some, they specify steel blends...many they don't. Their Marrakesh for example is 4130 CroMo.

And, yes, both Surly and Salsa were bought out...and are QBP brands (Like Foundry, All-City, and Whiskey). Salsa and Surly around the same time, 1997/1998.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Some, they specify steel blends...many they don't. Their Marrakesh for example is 4130 CroMo.
I saw that. As far as I know though 4130 CroMo is a generic term that just describes the type of steel and does't say anything about wall thickness, butting ect.

Although I've only heard good things about their bikes from people who own them so maybe it doesn't matter and design trumps tube quality.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm told that the new 425 Ti alloy is easier to work. Maybe it'll usher in a new era of titanium bikes?

Yes, 4130 is just a designation for the alloy; it doesn't say anything about the construction of the tubing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts