Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My minion may be buying a house with a pool, he's curious about converting it to saltwater. Toomanybikes? Anyone else?

What was the initial cost, maintenance etc? Is it worth it?

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Starliner said:
What the ƒ?çk is a minion? Good for fishin'?
He who must follow my orders and do my bidding at work.......:D

My assistant.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
snapdragen said:
My assistant.
i like to call them monkeys. no offense to monkeys.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
put salt in it....done

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
My best friend had a pool built a few years ago and went with Salt Water.
He said the initial cost was $2-3K more (38 x 15 pool), but the overall maintenance cost were about half.

IMO, sooo worth it. Its like swimming in pure saline solution. Your clothes don't fade, its great on the eyes, etc. Its not like ocean water. Its exactly like contact/saline solution.

If I put a pool in, I will go the same route. Its the ONLY way!!

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
G

·
We converted to pool from chemical to salt about 3 years ago.

One of the two best things we have done with it, the other was taking the gas heater off ine and going to all solar panels.

The conversion cost for the salt water system, if I remember right, was in the region of $3500.

It can be done for less but I opted to put in a "cadillac" system with a computer interface which controls the chlorine generator and monitors salt levels to inform you if more is needed.

That level of sophistication is not needed but it is nice.

Maintenance is a fraction of what it once was. When I open the pool in spring, I go to Home Depot and buy 5 25 pound bags of salt, throw those in and dissolve them.

That brings the salt levels back up from the pre-winter drain down, I don't have to add anymore salt through the season. A couple of times through the year I will throw in a shock treatment and at end of year I add the algae preventer.

That is it now.

Much easier for me.

Family and friends are much happier as everything doesn't smell like chlorine anymore.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
toomanybikes said:
The conversion cost for the salt water system, if I remember right, was in the region of $3500.

It can be done for less but I opted to put in a "cadillac" system with a computer interface which controls the chlorine generator and monitors salt levels to inform you if more is needed.
That's what my buddy has. Its tell him temp, levels, etc. Even even work the hot tub, pool jets and lights! Now I think his was close to $4K.

But its a Massive pool with a 12x8 HT and a 12ft kiddie pool attached.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i have some left over ice melt i probably won't use. if he pays for shipping, it's his.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I converted our pool a couple of years ago. Really quite simple and not as much money as others have posted. I found the chlorinator on E-bay for around $600 and installed it myself. The unit I bought was $1100 installed at the local pool supply. It was really easy, but some just don't feel comfortable doing it. It's one of the better Hayward units. Not the top of the line, but I don't need to see the water chemistry on my laptop either.

Anyway, depending on your pool size, you'll need another $40 to $100 dollars in salt. Best thing I ever did for the pool. Soft water, no chlorine smell, no green hair, and maintenance is much easier.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
tomk96 said:
i have some left over ice melt i probably won't use. if he pays for shipping, it's his.
I wouldn't get rid of MINE yet....it is 9 degrees out there right now!

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I wouldn't get rid of MINE yet....it is 9 degrees out there right now!
i can probably ice skate in my backyard when i get home.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
tomk96 said:
i can probably ice skate in my backyard when i get home.
see...brine freezes at a lower temperature, if it was salt water it'd all be good......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.