Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 35-yr-old 6-speed recreational bike (actually 2 of them). One works fine, but one will only allow me to turn the pedal and wheel several cranks (go maybe 4-5 feet), then jam. I've compared the 2 bikes as closely as the untrained eye can and can't see a difference. Any suggestions? It not the hand brake... checked that closely already. I hate to take it in for repairs, and I hate to scrap it without trying this forum. Thanks.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,583 Posts
Do you have any pics? If you could show some pics of the drivetrain, that might give us a clue as to what's going on.

·
Done
4,587 Posts
I have a 35-yr-old 6-speed recreational bike (actually 2 of them). One works fine, but one will only allow me to turn the pedal and wheel several cranks (go maybe 4-5 feet), then jam. I've compared the 2 bikes as closely as the untrained eye can and can't see a difference. Any suggestions? It not the hand brake... checked that closely already. I hate to take it in for repairs, and I hate to scrap it without trying this forum. Thanks.
A couple of thoughts -

* It is nearly impossible to diagnose what you are describing over the internet. A bike shop could probably diagnose this (and fix it) in two shakes. As for the cost, bike mechanics and shop owners need to eat too....

* Based on the pictures and what you describe, my thought is that you could have a stiff link in your chain, which shows a lack of lubrication. A stiff link would give you the "couple of rotations of the crank and then 'erk " that you are complaining of. What happens is that a stiff link doesn't flex, meaning that won't travel through the rear derailleur very smoothly. Next time that you try to diagnose the problem, watch the rear derailleur and chain when you turn the crank. Again, impossible to precisely diagnose over the internet.... If this is the problem, the repair is for you to put some lube on the chain and individually work the links back and forth until they are once-again flexible.

Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts