Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Same Deal as some others I've seen on here...guys from Chicago selling bikes too good to be true. This was for a 2005 S-Works for $1500.

The word "seller" in the "USPS confirmation" email keyed me in that something wasn't quite right. The email did look quite nice though and the confirmation comes from "[email protected]"

However, a little google work will reveal that this domain is actually tied to a yahoo account and not affiliated with USPS proper. This usps-service domain name is registered to a Ruth White out of New York and also listed her phone number. I gave her a a call but she didn't seem to know anything about what I was talking about. I suspect the scammers registered the domain name under her name without her knowing it.

Some of the emails are below...word for word like some others on this forum:

he shipping will be under 50$ and i guess it will be easier if i send it by USPS.
You will send the payment after i ship the bike and USPS confirms it.
Let me know what you think about this.
If you accept my offer then send me your address and i will ship the bike on morning.

I will go right now and ship the bike. I will ask USPS to email you and confirm the shipment as soon as i finish. Here is my address:

Alexander Genois
360 E Randolph St
Chicago, IL 60601-5069

thanks,
Genois

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alexander Benois & Genois Alexander

That's funny, he's changed one letter and switched his first and last name....very clever...
Here's some emails I exchanged with him last week for everyone's reading entertainment. He finally stopped responding after the last one. I guess asking him to send me some money was asking a bit much...ha! It's probably more entertaining if you start from the bottom.

Jeff wrote:
I don't want to pick it up Geno, I want it delivered, I don't have a car to get to the post office...that's why I want and need this bike so bad! I've been stuck at home for several months relying on friends and neighbors to shuttle me here and there.

I don't understand why you haven't received the check yet. I wouldn't feel comfortable sending the money again since I've written a check already for such a large amount of money. I'm only a person of modest means. I'm beginning to feel that someone may have stolen the check from your mail box and the funds may be vulnerable to foul play. What kind of neighbors are you keeping these days? If you send me $75 to cover the fee for cancelling the check and a taxi fare to the post office, then I can send you the payment via western union once the check is cancelled. Sound like deal?

As far as the bike is concerned, I'm very excited with it being so close. Is it at the post office now? Could I touch it? Could I hold it? I understand that you don't want to release the bike until you have payment, maybe you could have someone from the post office bring it out to my house and just lock it to a tree or something so that I could look at it? I'm so excited!!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 9:21 AM
To: Jeff
Subject: RE: payment

Without tracking number you can pick up, and the delivery it's blocked for the moment, when the payment is made i will send you tracking number and USPS will unblock the delivery. Please send today online the payment to www.westernunion.com , you have only 2 days to make the payment, if you can't please tell me now to cancel the delivery and to sell to other buyer.

Jeff wrote:
Geno, buddy! It's ok, the money is on it's way. Please don't cancel it! I love this bike! I love this bike like a fat kid loves twinkies! I thought sure the check would be in your mail box by now...are you sure no one has been stealing your mail?

Regardless, I suspect that since the bike's been shipped for a week, it must be very close to me by now. In that case, if you do decide to get the bike out of the mail on Monday, get in touch...we'll have lunch while you're in the area! There's a great sandwich shop just down the street from the post office. Let me know!

Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 10:02 PM
Subject: RE: MTBR post

if tomorrow i will not receive the payment , monday i will cancel the delivery

Jeff wrote:
The money is no problem. I mailed a check to the following address that you gave me to send it to:

Alexander Genois
360 E Randolph St
Chicago, IL 60601-5069

I don't know how to get a check from your post box into your email. Is that a service the post office provides?

I'm so excited about this bike! I'm like a fat kid waiting on the ice cream truck to arrive! When do you think I'll get it? Since you've already shipped it, I don't need a tracking number. Will that save me some money?

But how would you cancel and post again if you've already shipped it. Your emails are confusing sometimes. Do you have a translator you could use?

From: Genois Alexander [mailto:genois_alexan[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 1:41 PM

Sorry for understanding, i don't received yet the cachier check in my email, the bike it's shipped and i can't send tracking number if you don't want to pay for it. If you don't have money please tell me now to cancel and post again to sell to other buyer how needs it,.

Jeff wrote:
I can lose time? I don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying you didn't ship the bike yet? If so, I'm going to cancel the check. You lied to me Genois, and that hurts my feelings. I feel violated.

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 5:49 PM

i don't have the check, you can lose time and also the delivery.

Jeff wrote:
I don't understand. you don't want it?

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 7:17 PM

where? i don't received it.

Jeff wrote:
great, your check is in the mail!

Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 4:57 PM

it's ok, i shipped today, sorry for delay

· Registered
1 Posts
Same guys in Chicago... they have two current posts

names used: Alexander Benois & Daniel Taylor

1st post 5/9/06: 2004 Santa Cruz Blur $1500

2nd post 4/26/06: 05 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert $1250

also claims to have a 2004 Cannondale CAAD8 Optimo Dura-ace

Their written English is that of a foreigner with limited grammar/punctuation/vocabulary

Scam is USPS & Western Union based, USPS only ships a maximum girth & length of 108 inches, hardly bike parcel dimensions.

I love the spoof in this thread, great way to cap off several frustrating hours conversing with these bozos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.