Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been asked before, but I'm looking between the Trek 5200 and the Madone 5.2. The 5.2 is just outside of my desired price range so I'm kind of stretching to get there, but I can do it. I've been told to stretch for it if I can.. wondering the opinions of others here. I did a short test ride on each but they were days apart as no dealer here has both in stock.

Here's the twist, I'm a large guy; 6'4" 270 and I live in the mountians (lots of long and steep hills) Want the bike to be able to take my abuse!

Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Will it fit?

I was looking at ordering a 5.2SL a few weeks ago, and ended up demo' ing the shop owners 5.9. I am 6'4" also, and so is he. The bike had a 140mm stem, and we couldn't get the stock seatpost to go high enough within tolerance. I decided that maybe this bike is just too small for me. I ended up with an '05 Tarmac Comp that was a left over for about 1/2 the price. That left me with some extra $ to do some upgrades- wheels, and a compact crank.

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
82 Posts
ersitz0 said:
I know it's been asked before, but I'm looking between the Trek 5200 and the Madone 5.2. The 5.2 is just outside of my desired price range so I'm kind of stretching to get there, but I can do it. I've been told to stretch for it if I can.. wondering the opinions of others here. I did a short test ride on each but they were days apart as no dealer here has both in stock.

Here's the twist, I'm a large guy; 6'4" 270 and I live in the mountians (lots of long and steep hills) Want the bike to be able to take my abuse!

Thanks!
I haven't ridden the Madone, but own a 5500 made of OCLV 120 carbon (same frame as 5200), and have owned Trek carbon frames made of OCLV 150 carbon. I have heard that one of the largest differences between the two frames you're looking at is the configuration of the seat stays; the Madone being somewhat stiffer.

The type of usage your bike will see might play a large part; if your racing, the stiffer frame might be to your advantage; the 5200, on the other hand, might be more comfortable.

Both bikes should be able to take your abuse.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mixed Messages

I am 6'3" 265-270 or so. I was in the market for a Madone or an Obea. One of the employees an my LBS steered me away from the Madone as he said it was ideally designed for riders 180lbs and under. I went to their other location and they told me they put big guys on them all the time. Since I have a couple of friends that work at bike shops in different area I asked their opinions and again got mixed feedback. Finally I contacted the dealers directly and they reccomended that I not go with Carbon and that they do not reccomend riders over 250 lbs. They did however tell me to get some strong wheels. Again what the truth is her I am not sure but if you are in doubt contact the manufacturer. I know this is going to cause all sorts or arguments either way but this was my experience.

P.S. I still want a carbon bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.