Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
This may be a cynical view, but I believe that the vast majority of professionals in any sport use performance enhancing drugs. How the sport handles screening for this use determines the reputation of the sport.

For example, we almost never hear about professional American football professionals being caught using PEDs. That's not because they don't use them. It is highly unlikely that there are 6' 260lbs linebackers out there that can run a 4.5 40 naturally, yet college football and the NFL has numerous players that fit this description. The difference in athletes being caught is how it is handled by the organizations. The NFL, or at least the teams, are working around the test.

I say all of this, because cycling should expect the pros to use PEDs. If you think they are all natural, you are kidding yourself. We can debate the merits of natural vs enhanced athletes all we want. However, there will never be a world where athletes are paid and perform naturally. It just won't happen.

The image problem for cycling is that they haven't accepted this concept. They think they can "clean up" the sport. Alternatively, the governing bodies feel that catching the occasional pro helps validate their "commitment" to a natural sport.

American football doesn't have this image problem (despite the size and speed of players being extremely unlikely without PEDs), because they take the approach to cover it up rather than expose those that are caught.

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
This may be a cynical view, but I believe that the vast majority of professionals in any sport use performance enhancing drugs. How the sport handles screening for this use determines the reputation of the sport.

For example, we almost never hear about professional American football professionals being caught using PEDs. That's not because they don't use them. It is highly unlikely that there are 6' 260lbs linebackers out there that can run a 4.5 40 naturally, yet college football and the NFL has numerous players that fit this description. The difference in athletes being caught is how it is handled by the organizations. The NFL, or at least the teams, are working around the test.

I say all of this, because cycling should expect the pros to use PEDs. If you think they are all natural, you are kidding yourself. We can debate the merits of natural vs enhanced athletes all we want. However, there will never be a world where athletes are paid and perform naturally. It just won't happen.

The image problem for cycling is that they haven't accepted this concept. They think they can "clean up" the sport. Alternatively, the governing bodies feel that catching the occasional pro helps validate their "commitment" to a natural sport.

American football doesn't have this image problem (despite the size and speed of players being extremely unlikely without PEDs), because they take the approach to cover it up rather than expose those that are caught.
Pretty much sums it up!

Individual sports leagues can either ignore the cheating and make "TONS" of money, or actually go after the cheating and kill their respective sports by driving away fans and sponsors.

What amazes me is people still think there are clean athletes out there in the Pro ranks ... not even sports like "Table Tennis", Archery, Shooting, etc. escape the realms of cheaters. I guess, it's better for some people to believe in the good of people then look at the reality of people.

In the end, it is what it is ... the only difference it makes for me in cycling is who I pick for my Fantasy cycling team as I don't want to lose a rider mid race for doping.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
no out of season testing, ample warning before testing is done. It allows athletes to cycle in the off season and clean up
All because of strong players unions

then there is cortisone. It is used openly without punishment

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.