Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
What the Hell is going on
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the San Diego Custom Bicycle Show. There was a lot of steel fixed gear frame builders I never heard of. But this Calfee bamboo bike looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
FatTireFred said:
stiff, yet compliant
No, no, no!

LATERALLY stiff, yet VERTICALLY compliant.:thumbsup:

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
wow

JaeP said:
I just got back from the San Diego Custom Bicycle Show. There was a lot of steel fixed gear frame builders I never heard of. But this Calfee bamboo bike looks pretty cool.
I'm sorry, but I think that thing is an atrocity. Might be fun for some goofy ride where people are trying to one up each other for goofiness, but otherwise I think someone has much too much time to waste. Looks like a bike for a real Fred (Flintstone).

This whole custom thing is a sore spot for me right now. I put $2000 down on a Mondonico that was built and sitting in Santa Barbara on February 20, just needing paint, and I still don't have it. And that's only custom paint. How long can it take to paint a freaking bike?

I don't understand how some of you can have the patience for these custom builders who take 6 to 12 months, or more.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Fixed said:
I'm sorry, but I think that thing is an atrocity. Might be fun for some goofy ride where people are trying to one up each other for goofiness, but otherwise I think someone has much too much time to waste. Looks like a bike for a real Fred (Flintstone).

This whole custom thing is a sore spot for me right now. I put $2000 down on a Mondonico that was built and sitting in Santa Barbara on February 20, just needing paint, and I still don't have it. And that's only custom paint. How long can it take to paint a freaking bike?

I don't understand how some of you can have the patience for these custom builders who take 6 to 12 months, or more.

party pooper
:nono:

·
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FatTireFred said:
party pooper
True dat. All good things come to those who wait.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
foul

FatTireFred said:
party pooper
I was in a foul mood yesterday

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Fixed said:
foul mood or not, that Calfee is about eleven different varieties of FUGLY. The first one -- a couple years ago? -- was kind of interesting. This one just says, "How much bamboo can I cram into one bike?" humbug.....

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think the point is that he is pushing the envelope (not in a rocket science kind of way, but more in a natural material type of manner).

It is a show bike, it may never see production (just like what they do at cars shows). It gets people talking, it gets people thinking.

It has no seat tube, so it needs extra support.

I think it is actually amazing to reduce the bike frame to such simple and available materials. I think he rode the Africa cargo bike he had on display back and forth to his hotel each night.

·
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just noticed that even the bike stand was made of bamboo. I want one!

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
I just noticed the carpet... do not want!
talk about atrocities...

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
I'm with you, Brother.

Fixed said:
That bamboo thing (Sure, you can build one, but that doesn't mean you should.) is like a pile of sh*t (Sure, you can eat it, but that doesn't mean that you should, either.)

Someone over at the Calfee house of horrors needs to seriously stop Ol' Craig from mcgyvering up a perfectly fine basic bike design.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts