Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
imbasilical moreon
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
Happened in Raleigh too, couple a years back ....

mprevost said:
Read about it here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=755232;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Send an e-mail. Call the station. Spread the word. This jerk should be fired!

Mike
.... raised a big stink here, but DJ still has a job - he draws listeners / advertisers / $$$$

What Clear Channel said: Wasatch Walt
Sep 30, 2003 7:13 PM
After DJ's in Cleveland, then Houston, and now Raleigh talked about how "cool" it is to run over cyclists from SUVs and such, I wrote a letter of complaint to Clear Channel, to say that it just isn't "cool" to promote death and dismemberment of citizens. It may have the effect of yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater. Here is what those callous persons have to say, and may I say, their fig leaf is pretty tattered.



September 30, 2003



Thank you for your e-mail message regarding recent Bob and Madison

morning show broadcasts on G105.



Our morning show includes a good deal of animated banter, between

callers and on-air personalities, that can be both humorous and caustic.

The intention is always to entertain our listeners. During a couple of

shows this week, time was spent by callers and on-air personalities

discussing driving and cyclists. During this discussion, comments were

made which at the time we felt were humorous in nature. In retrospect

we feel that the some of the comments were inappropriate, and for that

we sincerely apologize.



Be assured that G105 does not advocate harm to cyclists. Again, thank

you for your message and please feel free to write or phone me in the

event I can be of service.



Best regards,



Ken Spitzer

Regional Vice President

G105-FM Radio

Phone: 919-878-1500
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Money in the bank,

This comes up several times per year in various parts of the country. The shock jocks know that all they have to do is to make an outrageous statement about bicyclists and we'll inundate their station with angry complaints.

Then, when their contract comes up, they'll trot that stack of complaints into their boss as proof of their listenership. It's money in the bank. Don't you wish that it was that simple for you to get a big raise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
send complaints to..

send complaints to [email protected] ( dave sniff, program director), [email protected] (jerry donadio, general sales), [email protected] (tracy johnson, vice president/gen. mgr) .sending e-mails to the dj will only get a rise out of him. if you really want to jerk his chain get some large advocate group or the members of cycling clubs in san diego to send the general mgr a letter. You would need a transcript of the actual show to get the stations attention. Letters were sent to clear channel headquarters to get them to jerk the dj in houston.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
complain to sponsors

As has been pointed out over on ST. it's more effective to complain to sponsors than to station monkeys. When you complain to the monkeys, it's just proving that you are listening. When you complain to the sponsors, it proves you're pissed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,097 Posts
I was sitting in the lunch area at a past employer of mine. This big-mouth, country-hick, SUV drivin' southern "belle" (as in bell shaped azz), spouted off something about getting "Stuck behind some bike riders" and how she would "run 'em over to teach them a lesson".

I pulled out my wallet and took out a picture of my kindergartner, asked this retard if she would like to leave that child without a dad.

She got real quiet. She wasn't aware that I was a cyclist. Of course, these fu#$ing simpletons around here would never admit a mistake....
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,979 Posts
GTDave said:
As has been pointed out over on ST. it's more effective to complain to sponsors than to station monkeys. When you complain to the monkeys, it's just proving that you are listening. When you complain to the sponsors, it proves you're pissed.
That's a great idea! One of the best I've heard in a long time. Good on you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
There is a common thread concerning stations that have DJs that advocate this kind of behavior. They are owned by Clear Channel. I'm also a bird watcher, and for those of you that are aware, the Ivory-billed Woodpecker, long thought to be extinct, is believed to survive in Arkansas. A DJ advocated shooting them all once and for all. Of course - a Clear Channel station. What a bunch of losers.
 

·
In-House Counsel
Joined
·
579 Posts
bonkmiester said:
.... raised a big stink here, but DJ still has a job - he draws listeners / advertisers / $$$$
I remember that. I was wondering just the other day whether that asshat got canned or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
What I want to know...

luv2climb said:
There is a common thread concerning stations that have DJs that advocate this kind of behavior. They are owned by Clear Channel. I'm also a bird watcher, and for those of you that are aware, the Ivory-billed Woodpecker, long thought to be extinct, is believed to survive in Arkansas. A DJ advocated shooting them all once and for all. Of course - a Clear Channel station. What a bunch of losers.
is when a statement like this becomes legally classified as a threat or when it violates any other FCC rule (haven't they been cracking down lately?). It's one thing to advocate killing an animal or poking fun at some particular group of people, but advocating the hurting and possible killing of other people is entirely different IMO.
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
The FCC doesn't appear to have a rule prohibiting threats but does have the following:

Profane Broadcast Restrictions

The FCC has defined profanity as “including language so grossly offensive to members of the public who actually hear it as to amount to a nuisance.”

Like indecency, profane speech is prohibited on broadcast radio and television between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.


It might be a stretch to call what was said "profane" but it might not. Given the FCC's, as of late, penchant for prudity (i.e. substantial fines for "wardrobe malfunctions" etc.) they might take a shine to a complaint. Even if all they do is inquire it might send a message. No broadcast media likes to field an inquiry from the FCC. Could be a good tactic in the bike wars. Anybody willing to try?
 

·
Arrogant roadie.....
Joined
·
4,232 Posts
Spoke Wrench said:
This comes up several times per year in various parts of the country. The shock jocks know that all they have to do is to make an outrageous statement about bicyclists and we'll inundate their station with angry complaints.

Then, when their contract comes up, they'll trot that stack of complaints into their boss as proof of their listenership. It's money in the bank. Don't you wish that it was that simple for you to get a big raise?
Hell, there is a "shock jock" around here who once compared our city's (African-American) mayor to an orangutan! The "fired" him, but 6 months later, he came back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,504 Posts
Not likely

Mel Erickson said:
Given the FCC's, as of late, penchant for prudity (i.e. substantial fines for "wardrobe malfunctions" etc.) they might take a shine to a complaint. Even if all they do is inquire it might send a message. No broadcast media likes to field an inquiry from the FCC. Could be a good tactic in the bike wars. Anybody willing to try?
FCC prudity, yes. FCC actually regulating the broadcast media? Not bloody likely. The "deregulatory environment" currently is such that the business interests in the broadcast area are effectively calling the shots. Part of the "get the government off our backs" philosophy. Remember Ronald Reagan: "The government is the problem, the government is not the solution." It's what we (collectively) voted for.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,477 Posts
Funny...

that one of his sponsors is the local Toyota dealer. This asshat doesn't realize that Toyota sponsors a cycling team - Toyota United. I agree with GTDave. Complain to the sponsors. Start with Toyota.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top