Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or more specifically... Half Moon Bay to Carlsbad..

I am sure this has come up in the past but, does anyone know a good route to take for this "epic". I am going to take a week or so to do it, not a race for me, just for fun. I know the majority of it can be done on Hwy 1, but there are many areas where I dont think that is feasible?

Can anyone give me any general information on this? Or point me in the right direction?

thank you

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
Shwaa said:
Or more specifically... Half Moon Bay to Carlsbad..

I am sure this has come up in the past but, does anyone know a good route to take for this "epic". I am going to take a week or so to do it, not a race for me, just for fun. I know the majority of it can be done on Hwy 1, but there are many areas where I dont think that is feasible?

Can anyone give me any general information on this? Or point me in the right direction?

thank you

Look at the route for the AIDS ride. That goes from SF to L.A. Once in L.A., you'll be on city streets. No real solid arteries, unfortunately. Probably La Brea/Crenshaw south to Ranch Palos Verdes, then 1 into and thru Long Beach. 1 Might get you pretty far through OC, too, but I don't know OC that well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jptaylorsg said:
Look at the route for the AIDS ride. That goes from SF to L.A. Once in L.A., you'll be on city streets. No real solid arteries, unfortunately. Probably La Brea/Crenshaw south to Ranch Palos Verdes, then 1 into and thru Long Beach. 1 Might get you pretty far through OC, too, but I don't know OC that well.
Cool, thanks for the info. I checked out the link. Seems to go inland more than I would want too. I am pretty sure I can make it to at least LA on Hwy 1. Only area I am unsure of is Santa Maria. Maybe I am wrong.

Or maybe I should just do this AIDS ride and make it easier :)

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
Careful

Shwaa said:
Cool, thanks for the info. I checked out the link. Seems to go inland more than I would want too. I am pretty sure I can make it to at least LA on Hwy 1. Only area I am unsure of is Santa Maria. Maybe I am wrong.

The only places the AIDS ride goes on Hwy 1 are the areas where there is no other route. Far as I know, it's illegal to ride a bicycle on a highway unless there's no other route.

The AIDS ride would provide you good support and camaraderie, but it comes with a fee, and you have to get a lot of donations.
:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
labikepaths.com

Take a look at http://www.labikepaths.com/ . Off of Hwy 1, after Malibu, jump on "the Strand" bike path and it will take you through Santa Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Manhatten , Hermosa, Redondo to Torrance Beach. From there go along the Palos Verde Peninsula to San Pedro. Not sure how to get to Long Beach if you can't go over Vincent Thomas Bridge. Have fun!

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Adventure Cycling

The Adventure Cycling (adventurecycling.org) Pacific Coast Route covers this area. You'll need sections 4 (SF to Santa Barbara) and 5 (SB to San Diego). The maps give you route details, local points of interest, bike shops, motels, B&Bs, campgrounds, geography, and weather information.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Shwaa said:

No problem in Santa Maria. You can totally ride Hwy 1 there. The Solvang Century was last Saturday and it goes on Hwy 1. The decision you need to make in Santa Maria is if you will ride 101 (the freeway) through Gaviota pass into Santa Barbara, or take Hwy 154 over San Marcos pass. If you will go Gaviota, ride Hwy 1 all the way there. If you will go San Marcos, head for Foxen Canyon Road.

Check out the Tour of California stage 5 from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara. It's a beautiful ride, and probably the best way to go.

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/Route/map/stage5map.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts