Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fondriest Fanatic
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Has anyone else had trouble with any of the Selle San Marco Magma saddles? After ~1700 miles and a year and half's use, mine cracked in half from side to side in the middle of the magnesium saddle body. I was seated as I rode over a rough patch of pavement and heard it crack. A quick inspection confirmed my fears. I've heard of seatrails failing on other saddles, but I've never heard of the seat itself failing. I bought it new and found no weight limit warning (my weight is steady around 175#) in the packaging. I've left a review and am not really complaining - I've got a spare saddle to use until I decide what to replace it with permanently. I'm more curious to know if others have had similar problems.....

have fun,
aaron

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
mine creaks like a mofo at the rear rail mounting position. It resonates through the whole bike too. I thought it was spoke pinging.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My creaks. Even after I triple checked all the clamps and the torque on the bolts for the clamps. Then I tried to add a dab of grease to all the surfaces the clamps and rails interface with. It still creaks...

Sigh... I found that the build quality isn't as nice as the usual Selle San Marco stuff... Seems really cheaply put together...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm not suprised. Magnesium is a very weak and brittle metal. I really don't know why they even considered using it to build a saddle other than the fact that everyone else seems to be making full carbon shelled saddles, and they wanted to have something different out. Bottom line is, yes, magnesium is light, but it's strength to wieght ratio is poor. Ti and carbon will flex quite a bit before breaking, especially Ti, Mag just breaks.

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
Cheers! said:
Sigh... I found that the build quality isn't as nice as the usual Selle San Marco stuff... Seems really cheaply put together...
I agree... Mr 138 has an old Aspide, and I've got the new women's version. I had to quit riding mine after a couple of months because the shell got so flexy that it was causing some saddle sore issues. His is still solid as the day he bought it a few years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.