Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I had a saddle back in my road racing days, over 15 years ago. I loved it, the greatest saddle ever. No idea what it was, it just came stock on my bike.

Fast forward to now, I saw a picture of this saddle, a Selle San Marco Regal:

I clearly remember my saddle having the rivets across the back like that. Any other late 80's saddles that would have had those rivets, or have I found my old saddle at last?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Brooks also has rivets across the back, but doubtful that it would have been installed on a racebike 15 yrs ago. I bet you've found your long lost saddle.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Schweet... No, it definitely was not a Brooks, I would have noticed that. I'm stoked... Just got a nice deal on a Ti-railed version from eBay.

·
Registered
712 Posts
yeah, the Regal

gets used by those in the know even at the pro level. for my, er, money, it may make the "second greatest saddle", as the san marco rolls is all i wanna ride.

anthony.delorenzo said:
Hey All,

I had a saddle back in my road racing days, over 15 years ago. I loved it, the greatest saddle ever. No idea what it was, it just came stock on my bike.

Fast forward to now, I saw a picture of this saddle, a Selle San Marco Regal:

I clearly remember my saddle having the rivets across the back like that. Any other late 80's saddles that would have had those rivets, or have I found my old saddle at last?

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
I have the Regal on one bike, the Rolls on another. They are both good saddles, wide with lots of contact. I started out with a Turbomatic Ti nearly 20 years ago, then moved on to the old-style Flites. The problem with the Flites is that they would start to sag and I would get uncomfortable on them. So, I was replacing them every 6-12 months. I tried many other saddles with moderate success, but always came back to the Flite. Then last year I started using the Regal on one bike, and dusted off a Rolls that I had buried in a box and put it on another bike. Now I can say I will probably only ride these two saddles. Yes, they are ~300 grams with Ti rails, but they are supportive, comfortable and do not break down easily.

The Regal is definitely a "firm" saddle, and is also a little wider in the nose than most. It is slightly concave from tip to tail, I have mine set very slightly nose up using a level across the top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.