Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is inspired by the nearbry "what's under your butt" post.

I need a new saddle after a return to cycling. I am riding an Eddy Merckx Corsa 01 and a well worn San Marco Squadra HDP saddle. In my racing years I was a dedicated Turbo user. I am now in my 50s, heavier and a bit wider. I am pretty sure I would like to get one of these saddles. None of my local shops carry them, so no real chance to demo.

I would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, experiences, curses or other info that might help inform my choice.

Thanks very much
Bill

P.S. I have done a search of the forums, I'm just trying to narrow the input.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I've thought about the Regal, but they cost more than my cheapa$$ wants to spend. I picked up a used Rolls on eBay for $15 or so last year. The Regals are even pricey on eBay. The two saddles look very similar in shape.

G

·
Actually I don't think they look all that similar at all.

My preference is clear, if I can't have a Brooks I want a Regal.

I have used Regals for 20 years, they are all day comfy and the new ones are built on Titanium rails so quite light and yet they retain the shape and the comfy factor.

Always liked them better than the Rolls, some like the Rolls better. Personal pref but I think the Rolls is a "bigger" saddle.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I have Regals on the commuter and the race bike. I haven't found a finer seat. I don't have any issues with the leather rolling on the nose like I did with turbomatics. I should probably buy a couple more in case they stop making them. Tom Boonen uses one. A Merckx deserves a Regal.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,884 Posts
1 for the Regal

I vote for the Regal as well even though I have a couple of Rolls saddles too. The Rolls have a flatter profile and slightly narrower (my opinion) in the rear. The Regals I have all have different degrees of a "cup" shape. Some are more flatter than others but all of them have a wider rear end. Can't beat 'em for all day riding.

Regals rule!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I have a Rolls. I've only ridden it about 500 mi so far, but I like it. It's quite hard, but nicely shaped. I've never tried a Rolls.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Actually I don't think they look all that similar at all.

My preference is clear, if I can't have a Brooks I want a Regal.

I have used Regals for 20 years, they are all day comfy and the new ones are built on Titanium rails so quite light and yet they retain the shape and the comfy factor.

Always liked them better than the Rolls, some like the Rolls better. Personal pref but I think the Rolls is a "bigger" saddle.
They have the same dimensions according to Brandford Bike's site. The Regal does look wider in the back though. :confused:

Branford Bike San Marco Saddle page

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you were a happy Hinault Turbo user, you'd probably get on very well with the Rolls. Their general shapes and contours are very similar to one another.
Myself, I found the nose of the Turbo and Rolls a bit too broad for my liking and immediately fell in love with the Regal which I've now been using for nearly 20 years.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Regal all the way, I had a mish mash on all my bikes... turbo, B17, Fizik Pave, Brooks Pro... changed most of them to Regals after trying the first one. For some reason it works much better for me than the Brooks Pro which was the most comfy saddle I'd found at the time.

Speaking of Regals... any one know where I can get a white one? I'm trying to locate it for a sweet old frame but all I've found is the Black and the red eRichie specials. I saw a few ebay auctions for white with some print that were some Boonen special but they were only for sale in Austrailia or something?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Clearly the vote thus for is for the Regal

I have never tried the Regal, I have used Rolls for most all of my riding career. You can find a steel rail Rolls cheap from Nashbar or other on line discount shops. You can also get Ti rails at considerably more money but still not expensive. Butt, so to speak, the issue is what will fit you the best. I don't know if the on line shops will sell you one of each and allow you to ship the one you don't want to kept back, if done within a specified period. We clearly need a swap shop on the board for saddles and peddles so folks can determine what works for them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I haven't made up my mind which to order yet. I may check with some places and explore the return policy. I also do have one local shop that is a good group of folks and they may be willing to order one of each for me to try. It will mean paying more in the long run, but obviously, the chance to try each will likely make it worth the extra $$.

Bill

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
OOPS! I meant to say:blush2: Regal.

LOL :p ...........I was wondering how long it would take you to come back and fix that.:D

On a serious note..........I would'nt mind trying a nice San Marco "Regal", but you'd have to pry my cold, dead ass off my Brooks Pro first.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I have both...

I have an older model ti railed Regal and a newer model steel railed Rolls.

Regal 148x280
Rolls 150x280

They are shaped differently. The Regal is more flat shaped with a raised ridge on the back and it's padding is a little firmer than the Rolls. The new model Rolls come with brass rivets as opposed to nickel and both have textured leather covers which become smooth after time.

The Regal was my all-time favorite saddle, and the Rolls became my fav last year, but after fracturing my hip last Dec I find both saddles to be too wide.

There is no way to tell which saddle you would like, you might not like either of them.

I like the Regal intill I got the Rolls, but the Rolls was brand new and I think the extra padding helped a little.

I'm now using an Aspide which is a complete opposite of both saddles.

For one thing, if money matters, as said before, the steel railed Rolls can be found for around $43.00 at places such as Bike Nashbar. The last time I checked, they did not have any listed.

One thing to keep in mind, that these are old retro saddles and they might not work with your current seat post. I have to use a seat post with at least 25mm setback as the skirts on the sides of the saddles prevent getting the saddle all the way back in it's rails.

Lot's of the pros use both. You see a lot of Rolls on time trial bikes.

·
What up, dog?
473 Posts
I was a long-time Concor user, but the last couple years, I've been dabbling in Fizik saddles. They're alright, but not special. I'm putting a Concor back on my Teramo,and leaving the Arione on my Tuscany for now. I ordered a Regal today, and I'm really looking forward to getting it. I did want something a little wider, and I think that should be just what I'm looking for. I have a feeling that based on the profile of the Regal vs. the Concor, they should ride similar -- I hope! I've used the Concor since the 80's. If the Regal is anywhere close, I'm sureI'll love it, and I'll put it on all my bikes. I figure I should make my money back selling the Pave TwinTech and the Arione - maybe even come out ahead!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
FWIW,

I recently purchased a Rolls for my commuter bike, and I like it a bunch. I made the purchase without any idea how it would fit, but it turns out that the saddle fits nicely. Additionally, I love the retro coolness of the Rolls. It also happens to be the nicest piece of equipment on my hoopty commuter bike. I sometimes worry that the gold nameplate on the back of the bike will atract too much attention to my bike as it is locked up somewhere.

In case it helps, I have also found the Fizik Arione and Gobi to be very comfortable, and the Sella Italia Flite (both gel and non-gel) and the Trimatic to be torture devices.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I tried a Regal for a while but sold it. The Regal is wider than most racing saddles and has a nice shape, but is very firm. Felt like I was riding on a board. The rails are also shorter than most newer saddles, and I had trouble adjusting it right on my frame. If you like a firm saddle, Regal might be a good choice.

I'm now using Fizik saddles, Aliante and Vitesse. They have a shape similar to Regal, but not as firm or flat. The Fizik saddles dip a little in the middle, which I like, and have a little more padding. Vitesse is about the same width as Regal or slightly wider.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.