Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an Orbea Onix with a mix of Campy components and Rolf Apex wheels for $3500, but before I do I think I need a sanity check.

Last year, I bought a used LeMond 2004 Buenos Aires with a mix of Ultegra and 105 components, with Bontrager wheels (full specs are at http://www.lemondbikes.com/2004_bikes/buenos_aires.shtml). Well, I decided last month that I wanted to get compact cranks (I live in a very hilly area), and upgrade the wheels maybe. The bike has been pretty comfortable, although I have mostly been using it on an indoor trainer. The Shimano shifting system has not been as smooth as I would have liked, though.

I started thinking about it, and I realized that rather than sink more money into the LeMond, I could sell the LeMond for close to what I paid for it ($1250), and put the money towards a nice carbon fiber bike with better components and wheels. The base-level Orbea Onix was recommended to me ($2500 with FSA compact crank, Shimano 105 group and Shimano 550 wheels). Of course, then I started thinking about upgrading to a mix of Campy parts and Rolf Apex wheels, and now the cost is up to $3500. I could also do Ultegra 10 and Shimano 560 wheels for $2849.

The LBS agreed to help sell my bike so I can put that money toward a new Orbea I would order through him. The thing is, $3500 is a LOT of money for me to spend on a bike (although I just sold a bunch of stuff on Ebay to help pay for it). Now I am wondering, should I just keep my LeMond and stick with the original plan of getting a compact crank and better wheels? Assuming this cost $1000 to do, I would save $1250-1500 over getting the new bike with Campy components and Rolf wheels.

I guess my problem is that it does not feel like a big upgrade for me to go from the LeMond to the $2500 Onix, but it would feel like a big upgrade to go to the $3500 Onix.

So do I upgrade the LeMond, get the $2500 Onix, or the $3500 Onix?

Thanks for letting me ramble. Decisions, decisions.

Peter

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
peterm1 said:
Ok, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an Orbea Onix with a mix of Campy components and Rolf Apex wheels for $3500, but before I do I think I need a sanity check.

Last year, I bought a used LeMond 2004 Buenos Aires with a mix of Ultegra and 105 components, with Bontrager wheels (full specs are at http://www.lemondbikes.com/2004_bikes/buenos_aires.shtml). Well, I decided last month that I wanted to get compact cranks (I live in a very hilly area), and upgrade the wheels maybe. The bike has been pretty comfortable, although I have mostly been using it on an indoor trainer. The Shimano shifting system has not been as smooth as I would have liked, though.

I started thinking about it, and I realized that rather than sink more money into the LeMond, I could sell the LeMond for close to what I paid for it ($1250), and put the money towards a nice carbon fiber bike with better components and wheels. The base-level Orbea Onix was recommended to me ($2500 with FSA compact crank, Shimano 105 group and Shimano 550 wheels). Of course, then I started thinking about upgrading to a mix of Campy parts and Rolf Apex wheels, and now the cost is up to $3500. I could also do Ultegra 10 and Shimano 560 wheels for $2849.

The LBS agreed to help sell my bike so I can put that money toward a new Orbea I would order through him. The thing is, $3500 is a LOT of money for me to spend on a bike (although I just sold a bunch of stuff on Ebay to help pay for it). Now I am wondering, should I just keep my LeMond and stick with the original plan of getting a compact crank and better wheels? Assuming this cost $1000 to do, I would save $1250-1500 over getting the new bike with Campy components and Rolf wheels.

I guess my problem is that it does not feel like a big upgrade for me to go from the LeMond to the $2500 Onix, but it would feel like a big upgrade to go to the $3500 Onix.

So do I upgrade the LeMond, get the $2500 Onix, or the $3500 Onix?

Thanks for letting me ramble. Decisions, decisions.

Peter
Sanity check. If you get the $3500 Onix, you'll be thinking about further upgrading it before you even set foot over the saddle. Ohhh, they just came out with a new version if my saddle that's 40g lighter!! Ohh, all the people say SRAM's components are the REAL DEAL, gotta check it out. Maybe a CF bar/stem combo might match the Orbea's look better, nothing but the best for the baby.
But next year, your $3500 Onix will be old. You'll spend more and more time looking at and lusting over the newer, latest version that REPLACED the old Onix.
Your Lemond is made out of a great tubset. You have a lifetime warranty on it. What the warranty on the Orbea? How much are you out if you crash it vs. the Lemond? How many pairs of Assos bibs could you buy with that money? How many cool tools could you buy with that money?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I think you are right. (Orbeas do have a lifetime warranty, while my LeMond may not since I bought it used - I don't know). I guess at some point you have to jump in and invest in a bike, though. If I can get close to $1250 for my LeMond, perhaps I should sell it and get something for just a bit more that may have more of what I am looking for (compact crank, campy parts and better wheels.) Plus it would be a brand new warranted bike. Maybe I should starting looking at sub-$2000 bikes, and then see how it goes for the next year or two before I start thinking about a major upgrade...hmmm

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
For $3500 I'd buy a hand built steel frame with Dura Ace or Chorus and hand built wheels--and that would be a bike I'd be happy with for 50,000+ miles. The Orbea looks like another flavor of the month to me.

Regarding the Lemond, I bet you can improve your shifting issues with proper adjustment and new cables and housing. For gearing, consult a gearing chart before you jump on the compact crank bandwagon. Maybe all you need is a new casette.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
peterm1 is showing all the typical signs of spring time bike lust. the marketing ads are swarming around his head. apparently the sanity check swung him out to far. i fear its to late. he maybe lost until he sells the Orbea and discovers the low resale value of most used bikes, when he mounts the highly touted boutique wheels that only improve his average speed by 2% or less. then and only then will he just settle down and enjoy his good fortune and appreciate just riding the bike. Upgrade the Lemond and ride it into the ground. sell it when it's about 5yrs old.

·
Registered
277 Posts
$3500........... I'd take a long hard look at C-dale 613s before dropping $$ on anything else. It's one of the highest rated frames out there now...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
whenever I get "New bike fever", which is usually once per year minimum, I always ask myself, "Will I have more fun on the new bike than I'm having on the one I have now"? Haven't bought a new bike since 1994, but I've upgraded quite a lot.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Peter,

Let me help you friend,
First, I agree with Henry, that much scrill buys you a beaut custom frame.
However, your just going thru upgradeitus, this is a condition that most cyclists have and must learn to live with. It will never go away, each year when the new stuff comes out, you will have to go thru it again.
Here's my advice, 1st Keep the Lemond. It doesn't hurt to have more than 1 bike: ;)
2nd, if the Onix really soils your drawers, buy it. If your in dought, don't. Many bikes will tempt you, it's the one's that keep you in a fog for weeks on end, and make you sweaty and full of angst that you buy.
This philosophy has kept me in check, with 5 bikes. 1 mtn, 2 cross, 2 road. I Once had 8. Living in Portland I must have a Vanilla, just driving buy Sacha's shop warrants a change in clothes. So, like I said: If you gotta have it, you gotta have it. If in dought, don't.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I did it. After a lot of further research and weighing the options, I ordered the Orbea Onix with Campy compoents, a Rolf Apex wheelset, and FSA compact cranks. I don't think I will regret it.

THanks everyone.

Peter

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Is the deal totally done because.

I was in you situation, except I got the Opal, but, I did a Record/Chorus mix with Ksyrium SLs for the same price. I purchased frame from LBS and ebayed all the other parts and came to the same price, plus a hundred bucks. So, if you haven't done the total trigger pull, get the frame only. Now, having said that, I am capable of building the bike myself, so if you are going to count on the LBS to build the bike, then just get it total package from them. Other than that, I would do it my way. I've very pleased with my out come. I figure I saved close to $1600 and got the parts I wanted, so no upgrades in the future for me. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I barely know how to fix a tire, let alone build a bike, so I knew I would have to get it from my LBS, and they have been great to deal with (they agreed to sell my old bike for me and put the money towards this purchase).

The only thing I see myself upgrading is the seat if it is uncomfortable.

Regards,

Peter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts