Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this frame on ebay for $160. I guess it's a frame they never mass produced. It's made from Scandium Aluminum. Not the prettiest welding, but from what I have heard Scandium is hard to weld. Anyway, the frame did turn out to be pretty light, around 1100 grams. Built it up with 9 speed dura ace / ultegra parts from my old bike. Finished bike weighs around 15 lbs. Ride is less harsh than my old straight aluminum frame, maybe due to the slightly tapered top & down tubes. Pretty psyched on it overall. Cheap so I don't have to worry about wrecking it & light enough for long climbs.

· Twitterpated
3,118 Posts
farva,

I clicked on this thinking: 'What Santa Cruz makes a road bike?!?' It got my attention. I love Santa Cruz.

That is really neat, and you'll probably never see another one. You've got something unique. Your bike looks great. Congratulations.

Tshirt.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
.Santa Cruz has made a roadbike for years.
The Roadster.
I don't want to be all negative and down on your bike, but I would be surprised if that is really a Santa Cruz. My guess is that it is a cheapo frame with a Santa Cruz sticker on it. I could be wrong, I hope I am. But I'm suspicious. But for what you paid for it, who cares

· Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Ex-Pro Bike?

Actually I think you might have a bit of a collectors item there...

The other posters are correct about the Santa Cruz Roadster however the Roadster has a sloping top tube and ovalized tubing.

I think the frame you have is a one off custom frame done for a team rider sponsored by Santa Cruz. Here is an example of retired MTB pro Alison Dunlap warming up on a frame that looks identical to your.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
That is a cross bike.
I'm pretty sure that Dunlap never rode a stock SC bike in her time with them.
Her hard tale was not production, and her road bike and cross bikes were not production. I would be surprised if Sata Cruz even made any of those frames. My guess is they were painted and rebadged. This could very well be one of those bikes. Who knows.

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
farva said:
Bought this frame on ebay for $160. I guess it's a frame they never mass produced. It's made from Scandium Aluminum. Not the prettiest welding, but from what I have heard Scandium is hard to weld. Anyway, the frame did turn out to be pretty light, around 1100 grams. Built it up with 9 speed dura ace / ultegra parts from my old bike. Finished bike weighs around 15 lbs. Ride is less harsh than my old straight aluminum frame, maybe due to the slightly tapered top & down tubes. Pretty psyched on it overall. Cheap so I don't have to worry about wrecking it & light enough for long climbs.
Have you tried contacting Santa Cruz and giving a pic and/or serial number. I would be interested in hearing what they say.

It does seem similar to the one Bigbill posted put there are some minor differences like the reversed seat tube slot and the derialer adjustment do-giggies.

Ugly welds but I would assume that as you blew by me I wouldn't notice them much.

Nice looking bike with nice components regardless. Seems like a great deal for the price you payed.

· Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lifelover said:
Have you tried contacting Santa Cruz and giving a pic and/or serial number. I would be interested in hearing what they say.

It does seem similar to the one Bigbill posted put there are some minor differences like the reversed seat tube slot and the derialer adjustment do-giggies.

Ugly welds but I would assume that as you blew by me I wouldn't notice them much.

Nice looking bike with nice components regardless. Seems like a great deal for the price you payed.
Thanks for the replies. Actually I did email a picture of the frame directly to Santa Cruz before I bought it, as I was curious too. Here is their response:

Hi Mike,
That is a one-off road model we made custom for the Luna Mt. Bike team
members. I can't tell you which rider it was made for from the pic (They
originally had each riders name on the top tube) but they were all intended
for team use only and not for sale to the public. No warranty applies. Nice
frame though!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.