Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else ride this event this year? I thought it was brutal, winds 20 to 25 gust to 40. That one ten mile or so section with the wind at your back wasn't enough to make up for the rest of the mental and physical anguish. I'm not sure I'd do it again unless a group of friends talked me into it.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
It was bound to happen sooner or later. Good weather the past 2 or 3 years, we was due for a howler!

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I was out there suffering the north leg with you. I had two other friends with me and we were able to move at a decent pace. We were expecting a five and a half hour ride but ended up with a full extra hour on the bike. I still don't understand why they put the riders on I25 going back to Santa Fe when there is a road off your right side that parallels the interstate. It was very nice having the tail wind up heartbreak hill.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
The parallel road (Old Las Vegas Hwy) has single lanes with traffic in both directions and much cross traffic. It really is safer to put a large number of riders on the I25 shoulder, even if they are pretty spread out by then. The locals are bound to get impatient with all day bike traffic. Heck if I find myself in that area during commute hours (which is rare but happens) I sometimes choose the interstate over the smaller road. There have been improvements to OLV and it is now nicely paved and has a decent shoulder, but only about 2 foot wide.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SF Century is lots more fun as a half century, just take the cut off from NM 14 over to Galisteo on good pavement with little traffic. If you really need to do a hundred miles, just do it twice!

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
The best part of the ride in my opinion is the ride from Santa Fe to Stanley. After that it is not a very fun ride. I ride the first part about once a month on the weekends, but take the train from Albuquerque to Santa Fe, then ride back to ABQ. Goes through Madrid, but I don't turn off for heartbreak hill.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I flew in from New Orleans to give the Santa Fe century a try. Well for one being below sea level then up in the mountain does take a toll on the body. The wind and three cramps cut my day short at 65 miles. However, after speaking with others and one guy on his 5th Santa Fe century stated the winds was the worst he faced and he stop at the same rest stop as I. As the winds seem to build about mid day, lots of riders were bailing out. Over all I enjoyed the ride and will return next year. It's in my bucket list.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Glad you decided to come Geedee. The altitude is a challenge for Gulf dwellers for sure. Probably harder on your body than the wind was. This was my fourth Santa Fe Century, and it was indeed the hardest I have ridden there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
spookyload, I was suppose to look you up. I really debated the trip and then decided to go. Remember I was coming off that upper resportory infection. Well, overall I thought my health was good, however I think being off the bike for two weeks then riding for three days just wasn't enough time. Next year I'm hoping for good health and will train on some overpass and bridges to get somewhat ready for heart break. Plus I plan to drop about 20 more pounds.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
If you decide to got to Tucson in November, I will be there too. Tucson isn't as high, and the climbing is not a factor. The weather is amazing in November too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.