Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got home from riding to various clients and was a little exhausted. But restless. So I hopped back on the Pista and headed to the Santa Monica Pier. It was really cold (mid-50s, east coasters) and crazy windy. I hung out for a few minutes, snapped some shots, then rode up to the Promenade to meet my wife for dinner.

As you can tell from some of the photos, I've been playing around with black and white a lot lately.

1) The wind was wreaking havoc on the ocean. It looks like a storm was moving in, but so far it hasn't rained.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2) The Pista. In the background is the Ashes and Snow exhibit. I haven't checked it out yet, mostly because I suck.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3) A woman knits while her significant other waits for a bite. Editor's note: I actually took this a while ago. But it was from the same location and I liked it. So there.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not another sunset ...

4) Well, it wouldn't be a drroebuck post without another gratuitous sunset shot.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
5) The 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica. It's been so damn cold (relatively speaking, of course), that the place was pretty deserted. I like it like that.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6) An old building that looms over the Promenade. It's not that great a shot, but I really like the clouds.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7) The Pista, taking a nap.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And finally, for all you geeks out there ...

I got the new Garmin cyclo-computer, and I'm loving it. You can upload your trip to Motion Based, which then lets you export to Google Earth. I'm sure there's a way to do it without using Motion Based, but I haven't felt like investigating. Yet.

9 and 10) The first pic is my ride today, starting from my last client, to the pier, to the Promenade, and back home. The second is from a century I rode last weekend. One of our guys was taking a long time coming down a descent. I was circling around waiting, then finally started back up the canyon to look for him. Within a few hundred yards I saw him coming down, so I turned back around. I'm sure someone at the NSA (maybe MB's other "weekend" job) was getting a nice chuckle.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
5) The 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica. It's been so damn cold (relatively speaking, of course), that the place was pretty deserted. I like it like that.

Awesome shot!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
This one works for me in B&W.

DrRoebuck said:
1) The wind was wreaking havoc on the ocean. It looks like a storm was moving in, but so far it hasn't rained.
nmnmndm

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks fellas!

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Very nice pictures. I used to live in a Franciscan Monistary in Malibu, and my dad would take mt to the 3rd Street Promenade when I was a kid. Brings back some memories.

joe

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow, it looks cold just by looking at it. Yes, we are spoiled rotten out here. Here is a pic of the end of that bike path on a good day. Can you see the pier?:D

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome shot. That's up a little ways, north of Temescal, the Baywatch set and the lifeguard HQ. If i squint and turn my head sideways i can see the pier.

·
Registered
89 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Awesome shot. That's up a little ways, north of Temescal, the Baywatch set and the lifeguard HQ. If i squint and turn my head sideways i can see the pier.
Yep, and the Baywatch days, ahhh. See you on the road, Dr.

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
Ashes & Snow

DrRoebuck said:
In the background is the Ashes and Snow exhibit. I haven't checked it out yet, mostly because I suck.
we saw the exhibit and it's pretty freakin cool. 3 films being shown inside with amazing footage of people and animals. A few "how did they do that?" moments. It's all in slo-mo, very serene and mellow. Don't go if you're tired! They pack up the exhibit in the containers that form the structure and ship it to the next stop. Cool.

http://www.ashesandsnow.org/en/flash-popup.php

nice shots~
Jeff

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JoeDaddio said:
my dad would take mt to the 3rd Street Promenade when I was a kid.
I bet 3rd Street was waaaaaay different then. I don't know how old you are, but when we moved to Santa Monica in '84 (I was 12), 3rd Street was totally run-down. That was before the theaters moved in (with the lemmings in tow).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts