Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Santa Ynez Valley ride.

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  HeadWest 
#1 ·
My first post here. From a ride this week on some of the side roads off of Highway 154 just south of Solvang Ca.

See less See more
#3 ·
When I was a student at UC Santa Barbara in the early 1970's, I'd be riding on those roads practically every weekend. Absolutely idyllic. I also got pretty strong because of all the traverses over San Marcos Pass. Enjoy your RBR experience.

#4 ·
I too use to ride those roads a lot when I lived in Santa Barbara, it's a fantastic ride. I can't even count the number of times I've ridden from Santa Barbara up the mountain to Santa Ynez and Solvang to Buellton and down the 101 back to Santa Barbara. Though I never stopped at Andersen's Split Pea Soup, I can't stand the taste of that crap.

#5 ·
Thanks for the welcomes! That was my first time riding in that area. I'm in West L.A. It is indeed idyllic. I'm planning on using sections of the Solvang Autumn Double and the Santa Monica Mountains for training for my organized rides this summer and fall including the Autumn Double.

wooglin, I see you're from S.C. I went to undergrad and grad at Clemson!

#7 ·
Welcome to RBR. Very nice pics. I love the one of the lone tree bent by the wind. I'd enlarge that & frame it if it were mine. Wish I was there right now. We have 3"+ of snow on the ground & many schools are closed for the day due to black ice on the roads. Ahhh yess. Spring time in north central Ohio. Temp in the high 20s & it's still snowing.

#10 · (Edited)
Mr. Versatile, thanks for the welcome! I don’t know what to say to you and weltyed about our being blessed by great year round riding here. How about my mentally taking you both along for my weekend ride :)

Flattire….I had a leica m9p and a 28 summicron and 35 summilux on that ride. Those are small enough to carry in a small topeak handlebar bag. You have a great area to ride in!! I’m looking forward to more rides in that valley and going north of there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.