Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I wont fold wheels on IRD Cadence Road rims, American Classic hubs (Micro58, RD205S) and CX Ray spokes.
But I have problem. In DT caldulator (for DT Aerolite - similat to CX Ray) I calculated spoke length: 287 mm - front, and 268 mm - non-drive side, 281 mm - drive side.
In Sapim calculator I got: 290 mm - front, and 271 mm - non-gear side, 283 mm - gear side.
DT calculator give optimalisation length, and Sapim calc "normal".
 

·
wheelbuilder
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
KarbonPol said:
Hi. I wont fold wheels on IRD Cadence Road rims, American Classic hubs (Micro58, RD205S) and CX Ray spokes.
But I have problem. In DT caldulator (for DT Aerolite - similat to CX Ray) I calculated spoke length: 287 mm - front, and 268 mm - non-drive side, 281 mm - drive side.
In Sapim calculator I got: 290 mm - front, and 271 mm - non-gear side, 283 mm - gear side.
DT calculator give optimalisation length, and Sapim calc "normal".
Two issues here. One, make sure the measurements for the components are the same. The most consistantly accurate calc is the Wheelsmith calculator. It's not a consumer level tool, but if you tell me the measurements, I'll run the numbers for you.

Two, Sapim CX-Rays usually come in even sizes. I don't recommend using them if you if the calculation fall too far away from a round, even number. I cut the spokes to length with Phil Wood spoke machine. Let me know the details of the build and I'll help you out. What is the Spoke count and pattern you want to use?

-Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ergott said:
Two issues here. One, make sure the measurements for the components are the same. The most consistantly accurate calc is the Wheelsmith calculator. It's not a consumer level tool, but if you tell me the measurements, I'll run the numbers for you.

Two, Sapim CX-Rays usually come in even sizes. I don't recommend using them if you if the calculation fall too far away from a round, even number. I cut the spokes to length with Phil Wood spoke machine. Let me know the details of the build and I'll help you out. What is the Spoke count and pattern you want to use?

-Eric
Front wheel - radial, 20x spokes, or 24 spokes. Rear - I think I can use radial on non-drive side, and 2 crosses on drive side. 28 spokes in rear.
I'm don't heavy - 65 kg. This "economic" plait will be enough for me.
Unfortunately can't do anythink with CX Ray. Nearby behing thread, spoke is flat.
But, if spokes are too short I can buy longer nipples - I'm right?
 

·
wheelbuilder
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
KarbonPol said:
Front wheel - radial, 20x spokes, or 24 spokes. Rear - I think I can use radial on non-drive side, and 2 crosses on drive side. 28 spokes in rear.
I'm don't heavy - 65 kg. This "economic" plait will be enough for me.
Unfortunately can't do anythink with CX Ray. Nearby behing thread, spoke is flat.
But, if spokes are too short I can buy longer nipples - I'm right?
front 288.4
rear drive 282.1
rear non drive 269.0 radial, 282.6 for 2 cross

AC will not warranty radial non drive hubs FYI so I gave you both measurements. I used spocalc because I'm away from my work.
http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm
spocalc is usually within 0.4mm of the Wheelsmith calc. I can run the number on that calc later this evening. AC updated their dimensions in 2005 so make sure you are using the right numbers.

Keep in mind that I'm basing this in the internet measurements of these components. There are inconsistencies between what the mfg say the measurements are and what you get in you hands. I always recommend doing your own measurements to verify things.

-Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ergott said:
front 288.4
rear drive 282.1
rear non drive 269.0 radial, 282.6 for 2 cross

AC will not warranty radial non drive hubs FYI so I gave you both measurements. I used spocalc because I'm away from my work.
http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm
spocalc is usually within 0.4mm of the Wheelsmith calc. I can run the number on that calc later this evening. AC updated their dimensions in 2005 so make sure you are using the right numbers.

Keep in mind that I'm basing this in the internet measurements of these components. There are inconsistencies between what the mfg say the measurements are and what you get in you hands. I always recommend doing your own measurements to verify things.

-Eric
Thank You. I got similar length. With normal spokes I havent poblem. But in CX Ray nipples are'nt come in behing thread.
 

·
wheelbuilder
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
KarbonPol said:
Thank You. I got similar length. With normal spokes I havent poblem. But in CX Ray nipples are'nt come in behing thread.
With regards to nipple choice, longer nipples do not correct for shorter spokes. The threads are in the same place. The nipple is longer because some rims have thicker beds. They have to be longer to get a spokes wrench to fully engage the flats of the nipple so they don't round off. Zipp rims usually use 14mm nipples. The IRD rims should use standard 12mm nipples and longer will not help you.

Longer spokes is the only answer. It happens sometimes. No matter how accurately you measure and what calculator you use, there is a chance that the lengths do not come out as planned.

-Eric
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top