Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
Joined
·
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are kinda cool. Havent had to survive off one... but nice implementation of a nifty idea. And stuff.

The gum should have been yellow, however because it attracts Trout better.

 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,886 Posts
you opened it..............it's ruined
 

·
half-fast
Joined
·
7,377 Posts
Making one of these for an altoid can turns up in Field and Stream about once a year, it seems like. The gum is for you, not the fishes.

ToG is right, though, you'll never get all that stuff back in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
Making Altoid can ones for my step-dad and father-in-law for Christmas. Basing them around the Esee Survivial arrowhead which is the actual gift. I didn't want to buy a ready made kit (ruins the gift side of things), so I am just slowly buying things to put in. It has actually turned into quite a fun little project.

https://www.eseeknives.com/arrowhead.htm
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,886 Posts
10ae1203 said:
ToG is right, though,.

stop that.....i'll get used to it and this is the ONLY place in the world that i am allowed to be right EVER
 

·
Misfit Toy
Joined
·
23,426 Posts
24601 said:
Making Altoid can ones for my step-dad and father-in-law for Christmas. Basing them around the Esee Survivial arrowhead which is the actual gift. I didn't want to buy a ready made kit (ruins the gift side of things), so I am just slowly buying things to put in. It has actually turned into quite a fun little project.

https://www.eseeknives.com/arrowhead.htm
So....what does one put in one of these kits?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
Well, ideally you fill them with what might be important in your specific area, or the are where you may be lost. For example, I am in north Texas, so matches will start a fire pretty much any day here, whereas in a moist forest area I may need more hearty fire starting implements, like waterproof combustibles, etc.

That said, the gifts I am making are primarily the arrowhead, so going cheap and easy on everything else. A few fishhooks with line, 550-cordage, as well as some leftover internal from 550 that I stripped out. A few cord locks, d-rings, maybe some split rings for traps or whatnot. Waterproof matches (though I would prefer a fire starter, but these are cheap), maybe some alcohol pads, maybe a needle, button compass if I can find cheap enough. The arrowheads come with a survival hints business card, plus I plan to print some survival hints like trap designs, shelter designs, etc. Will seal it off with bike tube bands around the edge(waterproof) and to keep it closed.

For me, again, mostly cheap stuff that they can add to as needed.
 

·
Low rep power
Joined
·
6,264 Posts
snapdragen said:
So....what does one put in one of these kits?
There are all kinds of instructions on survivalist websites- a fishing buddy of mine who's into that stuff showed me a few of them (while letting me know that he was gonna live while the rest of us were gonna croak :D)
 

·
Misfit Toy
Joined
·
23,426 Posts
saf-t said:
There are all kinds of instructions on survivalist websites- a fishing buddy of mine who's into that stuff showed me a few of them (while letting me know that he was gonna live while the rest of us were gonna croak :D)
I'm remembering some of the stuff we talked about during an outdoor survival class I took. (Yes! snap the princess took an outdoor survival class!!!) I may have to play with a more "snap" specific kit for sh!ts and giggles.
 

·
Festina Lente'
Joined
·
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
snapdragen said:
I'm remembering some of the stuff we talked about during an outdoor survival class I took. (Yes! snap the princess took an outdoor survival class!!!) I may have to play with a more "snap" specific kit for sh!ts and giggles.
A giant bag of skittles does not constitute a survival kit.
 

·
Misfit Toy
Joined
·
23,426 Posts
BentChainring said:
A giant bag of skittles does not constitute a survival kit.
What about a small bottle of Hangar One ****** Lime?

 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,886 Posts
BentChainring said:
A giant bag of skittles does not constitute a survival kit.
yes it does, it will allow her to trap a guy to either provide for or service her, depending on her immediate needs..................
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,886 Posts
snap.....I thought you were napping................
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,886 Posts
just what she needs a drunk, stupid man.....................
 

·
Low rep power
Joined
·
6,264 Posts
24601 said:
Well, ideally you fill them with what might be important in your specific area, or the are where you may be lost. For example, I am in north Texas, so matches will start a fire pretty much any day here, whereas in a moist forest area I may need more hearty fire starting implements, like waterproof combustibles, etc.

That said, the gifts I am making are primarily the arrowhead, so going cheap and easy on everything else. A few fishhooks with line, 550-cordage, as well as some leftover internal from 550 that I stripped out. A few cord locks, d-rings, maybe some split rings for traps or whatnot. Waterproof matches (though I would prefer a fire starter, but these are cheap), maybe some alcohol pads, maybe a needle, button compass if I can find cheap enough. The arrowheads come with a survival hints business card, plus I plan to print some survival hints like trap designs, shelter designs, etc. Will seal it off with bike tube bands around the edge(waterproof) and to keep it closed.

For me, again, mostly cheap stuff that they can add to as needed.

X-acto knife blade, Photon or similar mini light, spectra fishing line instead of the liner from the 550.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
There will be the lining and fishing line. The strands are there because I have them and will be wrapped around the base of the arrowhead. I'm thinking lashing if you wanted to make a fishing spear.

Will probably use a straight razor instead of xacto. No lights from me. They can add that. Lots they can add later. I'll leave some room.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,886 Posts
CdaleNut said:
yeah, Snap is supposed to be sleeping after that tough manual labor she had to endure earlier with the cleaning
horsefeathers.......she's sleeping but it's satiation after having her way with that drunk guy she caught with the skittles trap
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top