Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, so now that I have the posting photos thing down, I will post more of our rides if you guys are interested....

Today a small group of us met for a short on milage, bigger on hills ride from SC to Scotts Valley through some beautiful terrain. This is an awesome ride--always feels like it is longer than it is milage wise, but it is a good little jaunt.

We started at my house in SC--headed up Market St to Branciforte. Left onto Granite Creek--do the climb, sweat, drink your sports drink.....I had a harder time riding today in the begining--Personally, I am a second-halfer--always get my groove on in the second half of the ride--first part is painful and slow....however....got to the top of Granite Creek and had a sweet but short downhill into Scott's Valley. Over the overpass and across the street to the gas station for bladder relief (espresso will do that to you..so will Cytomax if you drink enough!) Then a left turn onto Glenwood Dr. That makes you do a little itty bitty climb for a bit and then a left turn onto Bean Creek. This is the most rockin', sweet little Secret of a road--in the winter it can get icy, but right now it is blessed relief from heat
and is a tour through an area that makes you feel like you are a hundred miles away from Suburbia. You wind through a very well maintained road through old, old, redwoods--past scattered homes with goats and chickens and horses--it's really gorgeous. I should have taken more shots, but to take the one there that I did, I had to sprint to catch up with the group--anyway, this will eventually take you Scotts Valley Dr where you go Right to Mt Hermon for a short ride to the light. Left onto Glen Canyon with more really nice riding through trees and, for the most part--nice road--stay tuned for the photo of the biggest nail ever to pierce through tire, tube and RIM!!! Yes, I said RIM!!! Luckily, it went into a spoke hole, so the rim integrity was intact per my wondrous LBS. They saw the nail and said this was a once in a lifetime thing---Anyway, Glenn Canyon takes you to Branciforte again--go right and that takes you back to Market and then back to my house. Milage--only 18 miles, but big on hills and excitement, Yah??? Enjoy the pics:

The Ride start: Paul, Joanna, Michele, Scott, and Karen!

Version 2 of ride start

Rest stop

Rest stop

Bean Creek

Yikes!

Through the RIM!!!---This occurred because I was avoiding a fallen tree branch in our bike lane--the F*%#[email protected] Nail was under a LEAF--you should've heard the pop--thanks be to whomever watches over me! My tire and rim didn't shatter into a million pieces! We were going about 21 mph.

I LOVE Jacaranda Trees!!! This one is on Market St in SC.

all the fallen leaves...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coop, you know--I noticed the thread in that pic, too, but I swear it wasn't there on my last ride. Matt at Bike St said the rim is OK--the nail went through the spoke hole with no other damamge noted--it was barely off true....do you think I need a new rim????

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
SCBianchista said:
Coop, you know--I noticed the thread in that pic, too, but I swear it wasn't there on my last ride. Matt at Bike St said the rim is OK--the nail went through the spoke hole with no other damamge noted--it was barely off true....do you think I need a new rim????
If it went through a spoke hole, then a new rim strip should be all you'll need. Well, tires and a tube too... From Karen's picture, it looked like the nail went all the way through the rim. Matt should be able to true the wheel if it's a little out. Those fulcrum 5's are pretty sturdy, and not too crazy a lacing pattern...

I think Karen's gonna post her pics if she can ever figure it out. If she asks nice, I might help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Umm, no comment.

So here are the pics of the nail and the pierced nipple that I took. I was riding ahead and saw the elusive, yet seemingly harmless branch and the next thing I heard was her tire popping but had not idea how it happened. That nail was friggin huge! Fortunately we were able to patch it and keep riding. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep. He was Johnny on the Spot with that tire. I offered a dollar bill, but the business card seemed to work just fine.

I think that pic I posted was just about as large as life, so you can see that the nail was a killer!

Thanks for the ride M. I love that loop and it was great to get out.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
SCBianchista said:
Cruzer--are you REALLY from Pgh, Pa???? That is my home town!!! I graduated from Pitt!!!
Oh. I went to CMU, just down the street. Although, I think my apartment was closer to Pitt than it was to CMU. It's old. It hasn't been updated since I moved out here in Jan. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.